SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions on my first supermoto? brands? I have been riding on-road for close to two years now and want to spend around $6000 AUD or $ 4000 EUR. any things should I look for when buying, should i convert a dirt bike?

any help would be much appreciated thanks in advance !!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Any suggestions on my first supermoto? brands? I have been riding on-road for close to two years now and want to spend around $6000 AUD or $ 4000 EUR. any things should I look for when buying, should i convert a dirt bike?

any help would be much appreciated thanks in advance !!

it would be better to determine what type of riding you plan to do than to start with a dollar figure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, totally forgot go to put that in the question. the riding i do is small trips around town, and play on the weekend. almost no Highway stuff, and I'm usually only on the bike for and hour and a half at most. If i bought a bike that had knobbies i think they would only get used on the rare occasion.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
WR450 since it's already street legal in "kangaroo-land" !!! :thumbup:

It's cheaper than the euro models and pretty darn reliable according to crash279 (and a bunch of other riders).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
wr450

Yea I was looking at the WR250 and 450, they both look like great bikes, I have seen a fair amount of euro bikes that are street legal, KTM's, huskys ect, what are everyone's thoughts on euros? I really like the EXC 530

·
Registered
487 Posts
I've got a KTM and it's great! I'd say look around for dealerships. Not to buy your bike but for the spare parts. Sumo's always need spare parts! If you have places that can hook you up with bits for a euro then go for it. They are all made with top quality components. Nothing wrong with jap bikes either mind you but they don't make too many models that make the kind of power a 530 does.

·
Registered
402 Posts
exc 530 is probably one of the greatest bike you can buy out of the bunch, of course that's my personal opinion.
Here's why, nice big bore for street lots of torque and low end grunt.
Perfect for the dunes if you're a dune rider. Physically the same size as a 450 so you can mx, single track and trail ride the bike all day.
Streel legal, plenty of aftermarket support. Engine is basically bullet proof minus the oil pump gear but there's a factory update. Easy fix.

working on euro bikes is such a breeze compared to the jap bikes.

only thing is the price tag, they are fairly expensive to purchase and add a conversion. But well worth the investment

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Yea I was looking at the WR250 and 450, they both look like great bikes, I have seen a fair amount of euro bikes that are street legal, KTM's, huskys ect, what are everyone's thoughts on euros? I really like the EXC 530
what you've mentioned so far - the wr250x (the 17" model) or the wr250r (the 21/18" model) would be the most reliable, with the least amount of maintenance. the wr250x/r engine is known to hold valve tolerances well past it's 27,000 mile recommended CHECK period, whereas a more race inspired 450/5xx will require more frequent servicing. consumables like tires/chains/sprockets will last longer on the wr also. why ? because it's half the horsepower ! ;-)

don't forget about the dr650 (road couch), the klr (road couch) or the drz400. with a set of street tires they perform very nicely, and don't mind being flogged for years at a time.

·
Registered
85 Posts
If I was buying a bike to get a broner every time I started it, went for a ride and if I didn't care about maintenance, I would go KTM, Husky, Aprilia etc... But if I wanted to get some longevity out of my bike, minimal headaches and ride it hard and put it away wet.... DRZ400SM or WR250X.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I'm not really sure what a lot of you mean by high maintenance on ktm, I've owned several. Most the people I know ride ktm's .. none of us have 'high' maintenance.. If we are speaking about sx then I may agree, but that also goes for any race bike of any brand.. All R bike will require more attention.
As far as I know if its an exc, xcf-w.. wide ratio trans.. etc maintenance is just like anything else. Valve clearance check, oil changes.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I'm not really sure what a lot of you mean by high maintenance on ktm, I've owned several. Most the people I know ride ktm's .. none of us have 'high' maintenance.. If we are speaking about sx then I may agree, but that also goes for any race bike of any brand.. All R bike will require more attention.
As far as I know if its an exc, xcf-w.. wide ratio trans.. etc maintenance is just like anything else. Valve clearance check, oil changes.
That is high maintenance compared to the DRZ and WRR/X.

I change my oil once per riding season on my WRX (3000 miles). I won't have to check valves for another few years...

·
Registered
85 Posts
My only experience with KTM is a 525 exc. I hated it, couldn't get it to run right ever (carbs) and it was finiky to start. BUT it had great power and was more nymbol than anything else I've had (in the trails). There is definitely no comparison between a KTM and a Suzuki or Yamaha SM models IMO.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Changing oil once a season in a dirt bike in my opinion is negligence but if it works for you, good.. I dump the oil every track day or about a month of commuting. I like to work on my bikes too so I don't see maintenance as a negative point.

Still haven't had to adjust the valves on my ktm 250 xcf-w. guess there's a lot of factors in which a bike may or may not need more attention depending its history and how well its maintained/ ridden.

bottom line is we all have our preferences and we all ride. Who cares what color you pick, Go Hooligan!!

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Changing oil once a season in a dirt bike in my opinion is negligence but if it works for you, good.. I dump the oil every track day or about a month of commuting.
I don't see it as being negligent, since that 3000 mile rating IS the recommended oil change interval from Yamaha for my WRX. It's not a dirt engine, it's 1 cylinder from an R1 crotch rocket.
There is a huge difference between my WR250X and your CRF450X.

P.S. I don't track my bike.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
KTM maintenence

hmmm, KTM wise. I don't mind dropping oil that regularly and like i said most of my riding will be on road, doing valves and other work i would take it to the shop (anyone know the cost on this?). But i have never worked on a dirt bike period are KTM's harder that Jap bikes?

But what i do have a problem with is reliability, if i can't get it to run right and i need to be some where that could be a problem? also what are everyones thoughts on having no Key on some of the KTM's, hidden kill switches?

·
Registered
913 Posts
it's 1 cylinder from an R1 crotch rocket.

P.S. I don't track my bike.
Wait a minute! I did not know this. So does this mean the wr250r has different components? I'm gathering as much info as I can about the wr250x and a wr450 to make a legal supermoto. The wr250x is surprising me more and more. Seems like a cool bike but the 450 still is on top of my desire.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts