SuperMoto Junkie banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yea, so I got pulled over today and the freakin' cop put me through the ringer. I was riding my DRZ400sm. He pulled me over for "riding a dirt bike on the street". I haven't taken the time to get it registered in the past few weeks that I've had it, so he wrote me a ticket for outdated registration, he wrote me a ticket for obstructed view of the license plate (it's sideways against the air box), and wrote me another one for not having a mirror, FREAKIN' A!!! I mean come on man, do you really have to "stick it to me". I was extremely polite to him the entire time. He even tried to write me a ticket for no blinkers!!!, which I told him was not illegal because I can use hand signals, to which he responded "well I'm just not buyin' that"; douche bag. He made me stand there forever while he called some traffic law expert and made absolutely sure that he couldn't write me a ticket for no blinkers. This guy was trying to add everything possible to the list. I just don't understand what cops that do that are trying to achieve.

I have several friends that are cops and even ride with one (hey Jeff). I have a lot of respect for most of them, but jeeesh. Does this guy actually want me to pull over next time?!?! Not if I do everything possible to cooperate and be polite and he still wants to go over my bike with a law book, just looking for more things to write me tickets for!
:bringiton:rolleyes2:

·
Registered
605 Posts
we've all see this scenario many times before... as in all walks of life, there are bad apples, it was just your lucky day. Good news is that it appears those are all fix-it tickets, so after you get everything resolved, you are free and clear. If not, fight it to the hilt.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Take responsibility for being foolish.

Register the damn bike before you ride it on the street.

Feel lucky he didn't impound the bike.

There was enough wrong with what you did that you deserve to be taught a lesson. Not just "let off" because you were "cool".

If your bike was stolen and the cops pulled the guy over who stole it, but "let him off" you'd be pissed about that wouldn't you?

Do what you know you're supposed to do and don't cry about it when you get caught.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Take responsibility for being foolish.

Register the damn bike before you ride it on the street.

Feel lucky he didn't impound the bike.

There was enough wrong with what you did that you deserve to be taught a lesson. Not just "let off" because you were "cool".

If your bike was stolen and the cops pulled the guy over who stole it, but "let him off" you'd be pissed about that wouldn't you?

Do what you know you're supposed to do and don't cry about it when you get caught.

There is nothing foolish that I did. I was not being unsafe, or disrespectful. I never said I should be let off because I was "cool", but the cops should have a goal in mind when they "punish people". The only lesson learned here is not to pull over, it's not like he would've ever been able to catch me anyways, and if it wasn't for the respect I have for the good cops that I do know, I would not have pulled over for this guy. It is completely stupid to even think about impounding it because it could be stolen, that's what stolen vehicle reports are for. I have been pulled over several times in my old jeep that was in my mom's name from when I was 16. People drive around all the time in cars that are not in their name.

I'm riding the bike EXACTLY how I got it inspected, I haven't changed a thing. I waited until I got insurance, took the MSC, passed my test, and got the bike inspected before I rode it. That being said, there is a reason sumos are called hooligan bikes.

Turn in your sumo and go by a freaking Harley. Then go screw yourself. Thanks :thumbup::clap:

·
Registered
156 Posts
the general trend in this country is heading towards right or wrong does'nt matter anymore- only what the law says.....which is pretty scarey.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
yep, depends on the cop. And tisk tisk... on the no regristration, its only like 30 bucks for a bike isnt it? sorry to hear the PO tagged all that crap on though...

·
Registered
332 Posts
Dude... in all fairness, it sounds like you pulled a stupid. Get your bike fixed then hit the rode again.

On a side note, running from the cops is stupid. Are you gonna put your life in danger for something so idiotic.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yep, depends on the cop. And tisk tisk... on the no regristration, its only like 30 bucks for a bike isnt it? sorry to hear the PO tagged all that crap on though...
yea, except for when you first buy the bike, then it's a few hundred for taxes, like 50 I think for title transfer, AND the $30 registration.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dude... in all fairness, it sounds like you pulled a stupid. Get your bike fixed then hit the rode again.

On a side note, running from the cops is stupid. Are you gonna put your life in danger for something so idiotic.:rolleyes:
I don't run from the cops. Like I said, I know some of the good ones, and out of respect for them, I stop for all cops. Personally, I don't think running from the cops is any more dangerous than riding without a cop chasing you, so safety has nothing to do with it, I don't run purely out of respect.

I'll get the registration as soon as I can afford it, but this is most DEFINITELY NOT stopping me from riding one bit.:thumbup:

·
Registered
176 Posts
The only lesson learned here is not to pull over, it's not like he would've ever been able to catch me anyways, and if it wasn't for the respect I have for the good cops that I do know, I would not have pulled over for this guy.
oh boy... this is a great attitude!!! :clap:

The truth is, you need to just accept your guilt, you broke the law, end of story. Quit bitching and ranting, no one wants to hear it. YOU were in the wrong, not the cop. YOU chose to not have your bike registered, not the cop. YOU chose to mount your plate hidden from view, not the cop. AND YOU chose to run your bike without a mirror, not the cop. The cop was justified in pulling you over 100%. To him, you just looked like any other non-street legal dirtbiker riding the roads, EXSPECIALLY since he couldn't see YOUR plate, YOU didn't have a mirror, and YOU had no turn-signals. So don't be pissed because a cop is trying to do his job... :headshake

BTW, if you would have had your bike registered, there is a good chance that the cop would have just let you go. But since you didn't, you looked like an irresponsible rider in his eyes, so he threw the book at you. It goes for all types of riders, if a cop sees that you are a resposible rider (registered, inspection sticker, insurance, full gear, safe equipment, ect), they will take it easier on you than say a.... SQUID who has flip flops on, helmet strapped to the rear pegs and dosent wear gloves because "they hurt my hands" (true story by the way). I've been pulled over 3 times, once on the Daytona 675, and once on the XRR, just because the cops thought my XRR wasnt street legal, and the first thing that came out of their mouths were "Is that thing registered?", then I said yeah it is, and then both of them said "What the hell is that thing?!" But once they found out it was registered, they thought it was cool, and let me go. Just an FYI.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oh boy... this is a great attitude!!! :clap:

The truth is, you need to just accept your guilt, you broke the law, end of story. Quit bitching and ranting, no one wants to hear it. YOU were in the wrong, not the cop. YOU chose to not have your bike registered, not the cop. YOU chose to mount your plate hidden from view, not the cop. AND YOU chose to run your bike without a mirror, not the cop. The cop was justified in pulling you over 100%. To him, you just looked like any other non-street legal dirtbiker riding the roads, EXSPECIALLY since he couldn't see YOUR plate, YOU didn't have a mirror, and YOU had no turn-signals. So don't be pissed because a cop is trying to do his job... :headshake

BTW, if you would have had your bike registered, there is a good chance that the cop would have just let you go. But since you didn't, you looked like an irresponsible rider in his eyes, so he threw the book at you. It goes for all types of riders, if a cop sees that you are a resposible rider (registered, inspection sticker, insurance, full gear, safe equipment, ect), they will take it easier on you than say a.... SQUID who has flip flops on, helmet strapped to the rear pegs and dosent wear gloves because "they hurt my hands" (true story by the way). I've been pulled over 3 times, once on the Daytona 675, and once on the XRR, just because the cops thought my XRR wasnt street legal, and the first thing that came out of their mouths were "Is that thing registered?", then I said yeah it is, and then both of them said "What the hell is that thing?!" But once they found out it was registered, they thought it was cool, and let me go. Just an FYI.
My buddy I bought it from told me it was registered until the end of the year, and it's my only transportation right now, so not riding is out of the question. When I bought it, it had no mirrors, and no plate mount. The plate is clearly visible from the rear, just not from the direct sides. I guess I owe YOU an appology since apparently are on the same high horse the cop was. Like I said, I had it inspected before I rode it, and MY BAD for assuming the guy wouldn't pass it if it was illegal!:rolleyes2::headshake I was operating under the assumption that passing inspection meant the bike was legal to ride.

I also had gear on. I had on an AGV full face helmet, and he even inspected the helmet shell to make sure it was DOT, and then wanted me to prove that the liner had the DOT label in it or he said he would write me a ticket for that as well.

btw, this is an internet forum, which means it's either "hey look at this" or bitching and ranting, so get over it or get lost.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Dang... that DFW cop put the sting on you! Hope they're a bit more friendly down here. :D

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dang... that DFW cop put the sting on you! Hope they're a bit more friendly down here. :D
It was a Burleson cop that looked about 28. My brother had a problem with a cop in Burleson, the guy would pull over when he saw my brother parked around town and wait for him to pull onto the road and then pull him over and keep him for about 45min on the side of the road. We were at Jack In The Box and actually watched him do it. Apparently he lived next door to one of my brothers friends that used to throw some loud parties and he recognized his truck from being parked there so much. We had to actually file a complaint and the cop was suspended because they found out that he had consistently written my brother tickets that got thrown out at least once a week. We do have some really awesome cops in Burleson though, a lot of them really care and try to make the community better in general, not just "pick which people are bad" and harass the crap out of them.

·
Registered
335 Posts
yea, except for when you first buy the bike, then it's a few hundred for taxes, like 50 I think for title transfer, AND the $30 registration.
So now you've basically blown a similar amount on the ticket because you didn't finish the process? :hmmm: It's not like tax and reg. are a "Get out of jail free" card.
Fix it all and take paperwork and pictures to the judge, and plead lazy/ignorant/pregnant or something, just be contrite.
My $0.02 (you pay more)

·
Registered
133 Posts
I do have to side with the guy here, it does seem like everyone comes to these forums to whine and sob about stupid stuff. I get tired of all the pissing and moaning on these things. I cracked up at the running from the cops isn't anymore dangerous than just riding without a cop there comment. I love how a few ponies brings out the I'm invincible attitude. :thumbup:
I want to know how you have a plate on it, but don't have it registered?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So now you've basically blown a similar amount on the ticket because you didn't finish the process? :hmmm: It's not like tax and reg. are a "Get out of jail free" card.
Fix it all and take paperwork and pictures to the judge, and plead lazy/ignorant/pregnant or something, just be contrite.
My $0.02 (you pay more)
yea, that's most definitely true, but too late now. I'm not saying that the cop did anything wrong, or that the stuff wasn't illegal. I'm just saying that he could've not went looking for more stuff to cite me for. I mean come on, the guy was radioing back about stuff that he just didn't like, to see if he could cite me for that too.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I do have to side with the guy here, it does seem like everyone comes to these forums to whine and sob about stupid stuff. I get tired of all the pissing and moaning on these things. I cracked up at the running from the cops isn't anymore dangerous than just riding without a cop there comment. I love how a few ponies brings out the I'm invincible attitude. :thumbup:
I want to know how you have a plate on it, but don't have it registered?
yea, no one ever said anything about being invincible. I was just saying that having a guy following me doesn't make me riding anymore dangerous. Especially not the way I normally ride. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
haha my friend got pulled over today with me in the car for doing 43 in a 30. At first I told my friend that I didn't think his car COULD go that fast. I was wearing my seatbelt, driver and other passenger were not (single bench seat small truck). So the cop walks up th the truck and does the whole legal deal, gets my friends info then starts to walk away, then comes back and says "oh, the reason is you were doing 43 when you passed me and the limit is 30." So right off the bat I'm thinking, oh, the cop forgot to even state the reason at first, we're fine.

He comes back and give my friend the information back and says, "I was stationed here specifically to write tickets today (he was right, normally cops are never on the road). But I'm going to give you a break, the insurance card you gave me was out of date, so here's the ticket and when you come to court show them the papers and your off the hook."

So basically it was a free ticket, no points, no fine. Then my friend says, oh wait, I think I have a newer insurance card. And the cop, clearly hinting says "I HAVE to write you a ticket, so if you show me the newer card I'll have to write you a different ticket." My friend then proceeds to pull out his new proof saying but it's right here...(clearly misunderstanding the cops point). The other passenger and I immediately say "keep the ticket!" The cop starts laughing and walks away.

My friend could have been written numerous tickets, but the cop was nice and let him off....or it could have been that he was a very young cop and it just so happened that the other passenger was a hot girl wearing only a bikini... no one will ever know...

/completely random and pointless story.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Having a guy following you is far from having a guy (many many guys) trying to catch you.
true

once again for all of my dads out there, I KNOW I'M NOT INVINCIBLE, but where I was at, he would not have been behind me for long.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.