SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so today started off really well with my new rims/tires, but I snapped my chain adjuster bolt when I was adjusting my chain for the new sprocket... Can anyone put me in the right direction? Know any methods of getting it out? Or just say to hell with it and buy a new swingarm? Here is a pic:

·
Registered
84 Posts
the bolt is not that hard of material. I tried to work what was left of mine with heat double nutted the end. after two hours with the torch, the stub brok off. a standard drll bit is not long enough to reach from straight back. you will need to buy some drill bits that have a hex end on them ( that fits onto quick release drill adapters) then use that combined with a longer bit holder to make longer bit combination. Like is started off, the bolt isn't terribly hard and will drill if you can manage to get it started in the center. when you are done drilling it out you can retap it for a different bolt or a factory one.
Some say this is all due to corrosion, but i think the threads get galled from all the tourqe trying to move the axle. is yours on the left side? mine was.
good luck

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mine was on the left side.

Thanks for the info, im goin to head to the hardware tommorow to see what they got.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had the exact same problem on my Honda CRF 450. I think it is due to corrosion. The different materials (steel and alu) is the reason for that IMO.
BTW: Mine was on the left side as well... :headscrat
I had help from mechanics getting it out (luckily).
Be carefull with drilling. If you are not exactly in the center of the bold the drill tends to go into the softer alu.
An option might be to drill it out with a larger drill and then put a HeliCoil in it.

Good luck,

Oweel.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A member off another forum told me to thread on two nuts and jam them tightly together and try backing it out that way. I think im going to try that method first before I drill and mess anything else up.

·
Registered
8,628 Posts
Find some Kroil. It will help loosen the corrosion.

One of the motorcycle companies made a kit that included the long drill bit. I cant remember who it was though.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, last night I welded a nut on what was left of the theads, and it snapped off again flush with the swingarm... the sum bitch is really stuck in there. I have no other option than to drill... Its goin to be my saturday project tommorow

1 - 7 of 7 Posts