SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me introduce myself. I'm the proud owner of a new husky 510. I'm also an idiot. I broke a bolt that wouldn't come out with left hand bit or easyout. My mechanic friend figured he could get it out with a little heat. The end result is that he broke the damn housing. There's still some thread left but not enough that I'd feel comfortable relying on.

You guys have any suggestions? Do I need to replace the left case cover? If so, how difficult a job would that be for an idiot and what tools would be needed (besides a torque wrench ;)

·
Banned
900 Posts
it all depends on if your cheap!
you can use it as is theres enough thread,or at least it looks like it

or you can weld it, will look like crap and might warp it
or do it right and buy a new side case

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
clean it as much as you can, bolt everything up with no oil just yet. then put some JB weld on her or some harder form of resin. just dont forget to put some oil in before you fire her up...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ideally your mechanic would front the money for a new case cover.

Those bolts don't have much load bearing, install a heli-coil. You can get them at NAPA if you have one near you.

·
Registered
954 Posts
+1...

JB weld works pretty good, and it's your best bet. I'd give it a try before you got a case cover. For the $4 the JB weld will cost you, it's worth a shot!

·
Registered
725 Posts
3 options really, a good welder will clamp it and preheat it, preventing the warpage. not a big weld job really, JB weld does work pretty well, just make sure it is prepped, clean, oil free. as for the heli-coil, they are old hat, far better option is a time-sert, or keen-sert, same thing. far better holding capability. :thumbup::thumbup::bike:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts