SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of modifying my front brake set up to use a 40mm Brembo Caliper I got from a Ducati Monster. I've just about cleared the spokes of the front wheel. I'm talking MMs.

I've done quite a bit of research on this modification and am using a Brembo 40mm brake relocater on my 04 crf450r.

I've currently shaved quite a bit of material of the inside (the space between the spokes and the rotor) of the rotor. I'm wondering if I need to dish (offset) the front wheel over a couple of MMs to add some clearance. I honestly don't know how far I can go before I hit the pistons if I keep grinding.

I've already dished the rear wheel over to clear the chain, so dishing the front is no problem and may even be beneficial in centering the wheels together. I just don't want to destroy the balance of the bike.

Any info any can give me would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
u have to machine down the back of the caliper. I did on mine and so did supermurdo

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
is your hub centered?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm just going to make a shim and shim over the rotor about 2mm. Should solve my problem and still keep the wheel centered.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I've currently shaved quite a bit of material of the inside (the space between the spokes and the rotor) of the rotor.
Removing material from the rotor is a bad idea and will reduce the performance of the brakes.
If you are riding on the street it might not matter much but if you are racing it will probably cause brake issues.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Don't all the cast Brembo radial calipers from QTM get "shaved" before they sell them?

FWIW, it's a street bike, but I honestly can't see how removing a couple of mils of the back is going to really cause much of a problem. I guess, it could increase the chance of the caliper exploding from extreme brake pressure, but it may actually make the caliper cool quicker. I'm also going to powder coat the thing when I'm done as it was cheap and faded.

If I'm wrong, whatever, it's was a cheap project. I do plan I getting a radial type (Magura if I can ever find one that isn't $1000 LOL) set up eventually. I've read about people doing this a couple of time a decided I would try it. Some of the calipers made for sumo are ridiculously over priced for what your getting, but that's also just my opinion and I like the idea of making my own brake set up.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
pm supermurdo. he has the measurements on how much he removed from his caliper

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
pm supermurdo. he has the measurements on how much he removed from his caliper
Got it covered :thumbup:

All clear, wheel is spinning. Aside from the centering issue, which I think I've solved, I got me a nice brake set up.

I'll post some pics up, once I finish converting the front rim to tubeless, and spoon a fresh Pirelli on it.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Cast caliper is quite a bit wider than the GP billet ones, so be careful about comparing dimensions on those to make sure you're not getting numbers off the GP one.

Did you end up taking more material off the caliper or dishing the wheel or offsetting both caliper and rotor?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cast caliper is quite a bit wider than the GP billet ones, so be careful about comparing dimensions on those to make sure you're not getting numbers off the GP one.

Did you end up taking more material off the caliper or dishing the wheel or offsetting both caliper and rotor?
Neither. Once, I cleared the spokes I trued the rim on the bike ( Might as well right? ) and made a shim for the Magura rotor out of the OEM rotor to center it in the Brembo caliper.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update!

Just finished install some fresh Galfer HH pads and new fluid.

And the modified side:

I intend on having the caliper power coated eventually.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts