SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any insight as to why the X-Moto was discontinued already?

There's a BMW snob here at work with one that always seems to poke his nose up at me when I ride by on my DRZ.

Next time he stops me, I'd like to tell him about his wonderful X-Moto and it's short life. :D

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
do you know why? i dont really know much about them, i thought they looked cool, i almost bought one instead of my sxv

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the X-moto is still available here (still listed on the BMW website in the '08 line-up) so it hasn't been discontinued, they're just not importing it anymore in the US so it seems, probably due to bad sales records.
Thanks. I must have overlooked it in BMWs 08 line-up.

·
The Mod Squad
2,613 Posts
Ummm, probably cuz it's a BMW :infrandom :laughingr
You might have thought that was funny (it is sort of).

But you are right.

BMW has existed for so long on a market share that they have isolated themselves to that specific niche. The typical BMW rider is someone who dreams of being a dirt worthy world traveling adventure ironman. Some are. But the majority are fat out of shape middleaged desk jockies with good incomes. That does not sell dirt bikes. Goodbye 450/650.

Adventure bikes are one of the fastest growing segments of the industry. But the growth seems to be dominated by larger displacement machines. I think a lot of people are holding back thier purchase waiting on the F800 to arrive. The F800 (if it arrives) has some serious competition. It will be interesting to see how long it survives. It is basically an updated Yamaha TDM 800. That bike only lasted a year or two, no?

BMW's F and G bikes also have another serious hurdle. Engines made in Tiawan, bikes assembled in China. (If you know anything about China, that means Li Fan. Not the bikes, but the MFG) I don't know that BMW's diehards will buy a bike with those credentials. And the bikes will not likely attract new BMW riders to their koolaid party.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Yeah, I do think it's funny. I as Parts Manager for BMW Motorcycles of North Houston for a while (what was one of the largest BMW dealerships in Texas, but they were a bunch of idiots) Anyways, you are spot on about the clientele they have. Tons of money, very little to no riding skill, but dammit they have a $20K BMW :laughingr

Like you, I thought "dear God, this bike will not survive" when you look at all the competition out there.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
It is basically an updated Yamaha TDM 800. That bike only lasted a year or two, no?
I always kinda liked that bike. I thought it was ahead of it's time.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Maybe it had something to do with them buying Husky?
X-moto or 510mr? DUH.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts