SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So to bleed the forks, all we have to do it loosen (or remove?) the bleeder screw (briefly? how brief is briefly?)? What does this do? Does it just release any excess air, or if left off for too long, will TOO much air/pressure escape?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Just open the screw til air stops coming out. You will hear it if there is any. then just tighten it back up.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just open the screw til air stops coming out. You will hear it if there is any. then just tighten it back up.
ok. so its ok to leave it open until i hear the air stop coming out? its NOT possible to drain too much air? not that it probably matters, but this is for the 690 smc.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bleed it for exactly .4664 seconds
Shit. I just did it for .4665. Think it will be OK? Hopefully it won't make me bottom out and endo over the next pothole I hit.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I bled it out few times already, always had it on the side stand. Some air hissed out and I tightened it back up. I didn't notice any change.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
the idea is to equalise the air pressure within the fork at rest with the outside air. so theres no real length of time.
MOST people have the bikes weight off the fork. if you dont, there will be less air inside as an airspring... in theory, a possible tuning aid if you keep track of it, but i dont know of anyone who does it that way.

i have been told that if you bleed it with the forks compressed, a slight vacuum forms inside when you extend the forks.. and supposedly because the seals are not designed with that direction in mind, you can have a premature seal failure.... but i dont know if thats bogus info or not. its just shit ive been told online. while we're on the subject, can anyone clarify that for sure?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts