SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting a 2008 wr250x. the bike only has 230 miles so it basically sat in the garage it's whole life. Is it a bad thing that it sat for so long? Also is 4k a good deal

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Im sure it will eventually, but being there's no air in the lines, usually you can get away with just dumping/flushing the tank.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I was in a similar situation a couple months back, ended up picking up an 08 with 400 miles that had more or less sat around garaged it's whole life. Since it's FI I wouldn't think twice, mines never even hiccuped. Also, paid 3900 for mine.

·
Registered
107 Posts
ya that is decent price there a slim market for used ones so if you want one your not exactly going to get the best deal because of supply an demand. I paid 2800 for mine but it does have 26,000 miles on it runs strong plus the guy had every recepit for oil changes with the miles on them so i felt comfortable buying it or i prob would have passed it up. my final thought was top ends fairly easy and not to expensive so i got out on the goodside i think. I highly suggest them if your commute is short or just to have fun on the weekends. I come from a motocross back ground and love mine. Rode it for 80 miles today lol my ass was hurting after that but its a great bike does everything well just not a rocket ship..

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
A great deal depends on exactly how the bike was stored when it wasn't being ridden.

Bring a flashlight and look as far down into gas tank as possible. See any rust?

Was the bike stored with empty tank, or fuel stabilizer, or .......?????
Was the battery on a battery tender?
Are the tires starting to dry rot anywhere?

Is there a mouse nest in the airbox? yes - it's been documented by more than one person.

Is the oil 4 years old, but with only 200 miles on it?

Basic stuff you have to ask about any motorcycle that's not been used much, but is more than a few months old.

If it's obvious the owner has cared for, and maintained the bike even though it was never used, go for it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The wr's tank is plastic, I imagine you don't have to worry about rust too much. The oil has aged, it needs changed, the battery may be tired..etc. These are all things to expect when buying a bike that sat that much. It wouldn't be something that would worry me, but you may use it as a bargaining chip. My buddy just bought an 08 R model with 5k for $2900. I think 4 for an X with those miles is right on par. In the end It's worth what you feel you should pay. I'd do it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just for the record, Is the R plastic? I thought for sure it was, but maybe I am mistaken! It's weird to me Yamaha would use two different tanks.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Stock X's have metal tanks.

However, there's quite a nice aftermarket scene for larger capacity, non-metal tanks.

IMS makes one that uses stock tank shrouds.

The stock tank is metal - check for rust.
I would guess a 2008 X with less than 250 miles would not have an aftermarket tank.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Sure there isn't a lein on the title or something funky going on?:headscrat

$4k with 230 miles sounds low for a bike that sold well as MSRP for $6,399 plus dealer fees in 2008.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts