SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a hard time starting my DRZ400 the other day, and the next time I went to crank the bike, battery was dead. Bought a new battery, and went for a 10 mile ride. On the way home, the bike died as I was slowing for a stop sign. Brand new Battery was dead. I managed to pop the clutch to get it running again, but the next time I slowed down, it died again.

New stator needed maybe? Regulator? I don't have a volt tester, so hoping someone with a similar problem might recognize the symptoms.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
First thing to do is put a volt meter on the battery.
It should read around 12.5 volts. Then when you start the bike and bring up the revs. The volts should go up as the bike should be charging the battery. I am not sure what the exact spec on a DRZ charging system is but typical charging system output should be up around 14 volts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Follow up

Thanks for the tips...odd thing is the last time the bike died (with a new battery on the bike) was the last time I have managed to get it started...now it will turn over just fine, but never starts. I've been swamped on other projects (2 cars with mechanical issues happening at the same time as my bike dying...rains it pours!)

I plan to put some time in to getting it started again soon, and I have ordered a new stator just in case mine is bad. Hoping someone can tell me if a bad stator would cause the bike to stall at low speeds AND not start up again (but still turn over).

Thanks all!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts