SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday evening, someone backed into and knocked over my Husky that I've had all of 8 days. The sun was going down and I didn't notice initially until I went to put the key in and saw a "sorry I bumped your bike" note with their name, phone number and insurance provider and policy number.

I looked the bike over initially, the worst is a scrape and shallow dent in my Leo Vince muffler/clamp where it hit the curb. Other than that it's some scraped/gouged plastics and scarred pegs.

I gear up, get on the bike and this guy comes up and tells me about the bike getting hit, I say yeah, they left a note and he said they were just going to drive off but he stopped them and made them leave a note as, "the same thing has happened to me and it sucks." I express my gratitude, offer to buy him a pint or three across the street where I was heading (declined), and off I went. I recognize not getting his information as a witness is mistake #1. Not making a police report...mistake #2 I believe.

Anyway I head home for the night and get it in the garage and start to take pictures of everything. As I go, I am noticing more things that weren't obvious, like scrapes on the front caliper and swingarm, more dings in the plastics, small marks on the case sides, a scartch on my rear wheel, shifter tip dinged, there's some oil residue/accumulation where there had been none (I hope just from a vent or something)..all these little things start to fill me with a mild rage...nothing is major, but I didn't park it that way and I can no longer say the bike has never been down.

So to recap, I have their name, phone number (have not called yet), insurance policy number (Progressive) and a hand written note basically saying they hit my bike. No contactable witnesses or police report. I know insurance issues can be tricky and stuff can be different state to state. I've gotten different advice from everyone I have talked to but none of them have dealt with this situation before either.

Thanks...I really appreciate any advice or insight anyone has!
Travis

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
if it was me, id start by calling progressive and file the claim... they'll tell you if you need a police report, etc... you probably will.
then you'll know what info you still need to get from the person, before you call them.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I was a Service Manager for a local Yamaha shop, so I have dealt with insurance companies like nobody's business. This is my recommendation:

1.) Get the claim filed immediately with their insurance company!!!

2.) Take the bike to you're local dealer to have them do a crash repair estimate - MAKE SURE THEY MARK EVERY LITTLE NICK, SCRAPE, GOUGE, ETC! A REPAIR ESTIMATE IS TO REPAIR THE BIKE TO "LIKE NEW" CONDITION, NOT JUST FIX THE MAJOR STUFF!!!! This means any new bolts, stickers, etc.

3.) The insurance company will then send an inspector/adjuster to look at the bike and review the estimate. Make sure the adjuster does not try to screw you out of anything by striking parts here and there from the repair list (READ: had an insurance company try to say a guy didn't need a new frame on his bike that he threw down at 60 mph that was dented and gouged, not to mention turn signals etc saying just reuse the old ones, they're only scratched :eek:) Some of these guys will really try to cut corners - fight them tooth and nail if they do. That is what insurance is for, to pay for repair or replacement, not half ass!

4.) Make sure the dealership includes the repair estimate in the bill so that you pay nothing out of pocket.

That is my advice. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Oh yeah, and my girlfriend is an insurance agent, so I'm sure she can shed some light on anything that I don't know or issues that come up :thumbup:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well I called Progressive, their insurance company, and set up the claim this morning. They called me back to get information, and said there is going to be a "coverage investigation" and that they can't guarantee there will be coverage for the incident and they advise I file a claim with my own insurance to get the repairs made.

Gee, that sounds great, let me just have my own insurance cover the damage the other person inflicted my bike... :laughingr

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
well call them back and let them know you'll just have to do a "lawyer investigation" and that you can't guarantee there will not be a lawyer involved in this incident if they refuse to file a claim.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Well I called Progressive, their insurance company, and set up the claim this morning. They called me back to get information, and said there is going to be a "coverage investigation" and that they can't guarantee there will be coverage for the incident and they advise I file a claim with my own insurance to get the repairs made.

Gee, that sounds great, let me just have my own insurance cover the damage the other person inflicted my bike... :laughingr
Umm, [email protected] that man!!! If the person has insurance with Progressive, they have to pay for the claim. Plain and simple. It is up to them after that to go after the person who hit your bike.

They are just using a scare tactic to try and keep money in their own pocket. I'd stay on their ass everyday.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Whatever you do, DO NOT call your insurance company. The advice to tell Progressive that your lawyer will be getting involved if they can't take care of things is sound advice. Even if you don't have a lawyer. This will get them stepping (It should anyhow).

Two things: This is a lesson not to park your bike on the street amongst cars. Always look for somewhere safe to park it (all riders learn this lesson one way or another). And don't feel too bad. It is a supermoto bike. They are tough and are built to be thrown on the ground and picked up and ridden after. There is no shame in a few scratches on an SM bike. They are badges of honor! :thumbup:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wasn't too worried about the damage..it was the fact they were just going to leave after picking it back up. After seeing the note I was just going to say screw it, no biggie and thanks for being honest, now I won't be scared to ride more aggressively (well at least not so scared about the bike!)...but it's the principle of it now. They didn't intend to be honest so I don't intend on being my usual nice-guy self about it.

What about contacting the policyholder and seeing if they would be interested in settling "under the table" and canceling the claim? Is that possible now, or even a good idea? I do have a real-life lawyer in the family if it comes to needing a threatening letter on legitimate stationary..but I'd rather just settle it than get into some big ordeal.

Another question...can I ride this thing or do I need to keep it parked? I presume I should take it in to my local Husky dealer and get all the repairs estimated officially before I do anything else, but what about after that?

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
DO NOT CALL YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY and DONT't contact the policyholder - IMO that would be the worst thing to do right now. They could easily change insurance companies and drop Progressive and then you're up sh!t creek without a paddle.

Yes, you can still ride it, but you need to get it to the dealer ASAP so that it looks better on paper from the standpoint of when the incident occurred till the time you took it in. Once you take it in, you are going to have to leave it there until they do the estimate and until the adjuster comes out to look at it. If you have it in your possession when they come to look at it, they could easily claim that you did the damage and not pay up. Looks like they're already looking for a way out as it is.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I wasn't too worried about the damage..it was the fact they were just going to leave after picking it back up. After seeing the note I was just going to say screw it, no biggie and thanks for being honest, now I won't be scared to ride more aggressively (well at least not so scared about the bike!)...but it's the principle of it now. They didn't intend to be honest so I don't intend on being my usual nice-guy self about it.

What about contacting the policyholder and seeing if they would be interested in settling "under the table" and canceling the claim? Is that possible now, or even a good idea? I do have a real-life lawyer in the family if it comes to needing a threatening letter on legitimate stationary..but I'd rather just settle it than get into some big ordeal.

Another question...can I ride this thing or do I need to keep it parked? I presume I should take it in to my local Husky dealer and get all the repairs estimated officially before I do anything else, but what about after that?
Personally, I would stick with the insurance company. Dealing with private parties is always a pain in the ass. At least the insurance company is legally bound to cover your damage. Private parties always get whiney and want to haggle and can't believe how expensive everything is and don't want to cover the costs of replacing scratched parts, etc. Don't let your emotions become involved about the incident. Lame ass people hit and run parked bikes all the time. Just like careless people drive across the double yellow and turn left in front of motorcycles. You have to expect that all of these thing will happen to you on a bike. If you don't, you end up hurt or dead. So, don't ever count on other drivers to do what is right. :thumbup:

BTW-with in weeks of getting my first bike back in 1985, someone backed into it and knocked it over. They left a note. But the name and phone # were fake. Lesson learned.

Get the check from the insurance co, then do with it what you want. Don't let them write the check to the dealer!

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Get the check from the insurance co, then do with it what you want. Don't let them write the check to the dealer!
Not all insurance companies will write a check to the individual, it has to be to the place where the repairs are being performed. Just depends. But, personally, I'd want the money coming to me and not the dealer. Just be sure to ask if they say they are going to make it out to the dealer. Then you can just pay the dealer the estimate fee and take the other money and do with it what you want.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Right..I consider myself very lucky to have gotten valid information, and also that the bike was hit while parked and not while I was on it. I've heard a lot of stories like this that are purely hit and run, and the owner gets the shaft.

I'm going to try and get it up to the dealer tonight so they can (hopefully) get an estimate done tomorrow. I took a bunch of pictures the evening of the incident, so maybe that will help a little in case the Progressive disputes things?

If I get lucky enough and this works out in my favor, would I be able to take the old damaged parts to keep as spares, or is there a policy against that (or a perk for the shop for doing insurance work)?

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
They are your parts, you should be able to keep them. When I had to file a claim, I said I wanted to do the work myself. They still need to pay you for the labor estimate. I just purchased the parts I wanted to replace, saved the damaged bits as spares, and pocketed the rest (or used it towards other improvements). The insurance company needs to pay you for the damage done to your vehicle. What you do with the money is your business. I used to work for an attorney and he gave me lot's of good advice for dealing with insurance companies. Saying things like "my attorney advised me..." always gets their attention. It is cheaper for them to just pay you for the damages than to risk legal fees becoming involved.

·
Registered
363 Posts
If I get lucky enough and this works out in my favor, would I be able to take the old damaged parts to keep as spares, or is there a policy against that (or a perk for the shop for doing insurance work)?
I tried to just get a check from my dealer when this happened to me. They wouldn't give me one but they did tell me I didn't have to buy replacement parts with the money and have them put them on. So I just used all the cash on tires and oil. :thumbup:

·
Registered
364 Posts
if you have insurance why not use it, make them work for you..... keep in mind I have State Farm insurance.....
1 - guy rear-ends me and has no insurance. I contact State Farm and give them all this guy's info. I pay $500 deductable for non-insured driver and fix it. They sue him and I get my $500 back in a check from State Farm about a month later. Saves me tons of time and a pain in the a$$ of taking him to court.

2- lady T's me. Contact my State Farm agent and give them all her info. They get the claim filed and take care of all the paperwork. Bike is fixed and I am out nothing. They were even going to get me a rental bike while mine was being fixed....didn't do it but should have.

My insurance never went up because it was not my fault either time.
Make your insurance company work for you, you pay for it so use it.
:bike:

you should get all your old parts back if you request them back.
both times my insurance made the check out to me and left it with the dealership. the dealer only gets paid for the crash estimate if you decide to take the check, bike, and walk away.

good luck !

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
you should never have to pay for an estimate. we do some bodywork out of my shop and we never charge for the estimate, and every time ive needed one on my personal vehicle, the shop does not charge for it.
I don't agree with that - when a mechanic who only gets paid flag hours takes time to do an estimate, and if he can't charge for it, that is time he could be doing something else to make money to put food on the table. Now if it is a Service Manager or someone who is just paid a flat rate to do whatever, I can see that. Something else you have to consider: I'm gathering that you work at a automotive shop, not a motorcycle shop. The sheer volume of work in automotive is much more than that of a motorcycle shop, and there is much more competition.

However, in the motorcycle biz, I have seen several shops that will waive the estimate fee if you have the work performed there. Otherwise, they are basically just working for nothing. Just remember, it never hurts to ask.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My insurance never went up because it was not my fault either time.
Make your insurance company work for you, you pay for it so use it.
:bike:

Hmm..I've always heard the opposite; making a claim on your own policy, your fault or not, dings your insurance record (or at the minimum I'd lose my claim-free discount; aka I don't use my insurance).

Well I took the bike in and the estimate went really quickly; came down to pretty much a replacement muffler and clamps, full plastics set, end caps for the hand guards, the swing arm can be buffed out and they noticed my handlebars are bent as well. I'll have figures tomorrow for parts alone as well as parts plus installation..

1 - 20 of 41 Posts