SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm finally pulling together enough kit to do a trackday on my '01 YZ426f. I'm probably not going to get around to lowering it, but I do have a good line on 17s and front brake rotors, which I intend to have for the trackday. So, my next big quandry is do I need a steering damper? I've talked to a guy who raced AMA supermoto at St Louis and even down that front stretch he didn't get a big slapper. So I'm asking for opinions here? Need? Don't need? My first trackday on the motard would be at Gateway International, it uses the front straight of the oval, but the rest isn't too much longer on straights than some motard tracks I've seen. I'd appreciate any input on this. And maybe suspension suggestions using stock parts, for now.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I dont think so, Steering stabilizers are for people that cant control their bikes !! J/K Umm I dont think you will need it, Throw a couple extra lbs/ft of tourque on your steering head nut, If bar slap accrues then nail it !!!!! youll be fine !!!!! Defenetly a waste of Money !!!!!!!

·
Registered
305 Posts
I wouldnt do it unless you get tapped out with 16/38 gearing. I have a local track and in 6th with that gearing you can get loose with strong winds. I have one that I switch from dirt to motard with..

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
your body position will make all the difference. on long straits and coming out of higher speed corners I get my chin WAY out over the bars to keep them from wandering / dancing. I also recommend removing hand guards makes a big difference, and I even take my front fender off, but thats just for fun.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
your body position will make all the difference. on long straits and coming out of higher speed corners I get my chin WAY out over the bars to keep them from wandering / dancing. I also recommend removing hand guards makes a big difference, and I even take my front fender off, but thats just for fun.
Thanks for body position tip. I'm going to be all over this thing trying to figure out where I need to be on it, on the pavement. Simian fornicating with sports equipment visual :eek: :laughingr

I was intending to remove the large plastic handguards, and installing a supermoto shorty fender. But keep those thoughts coming :thumbup:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wouldnt do it unless you get tapped out with 16/38 gearing. I have a local track and in 6th with that gearing you can get loose with strong winds. I have one that I switch from dirt to motard with..
I still haven't settled on gearing. First time doing this, heh The front stretch isn't incredibly long, but it's long enough I could definately tap out if I'm on gocart track gearing. I'm thinking somewhere between 15/40 and 15/44. Gotta see what comes on the wheels I'm buying first.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As an update. The good news is I didn't need the stabilizer. Even tucked down behind the bars it was nice and stable. The bad news is the 15/41 gearing I was on, was too short for the front straight. I was running into the rev limiter in 5th before the start finish line, about 1/2 way down the straight. The worse news is I crashed in the final session. Bent the bars, tweaked the subframe, and rashed up some parts. Oh, and got a couple nice deep bruises on myself to show for it. But it was really fun, right up until then.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I had a yz400 that was solid as shizz under full load on the straight and when I did my (03 YZ) 450 it was twitchy as hell @ speed on the straight, accellerating. back to back comparison.

that was over a year ago. I dont have a dampner and totally forgot about it until I read this thread.

I guess I got used to it and if you ask if my 450 has headshake Id tell you no.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts