SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i am gonna get a big bore kit for my klx, but have little to none mechanical ability. And i would require help. But i wanna learn, anyone have any recommendation as to how i can get it on the bike correctly and learn some tricks of the trade as well?
Thanks

·
Registered
184 Posts
You may be better off having it done or finding some one that has had a head off a dohc motor before.

Do you have A TORQUE wrench yet?

David

·
Registered
58 Posts
I commend you wanting to learn how to work on your bike, but I would suggest you start with something a little less involved than the 351 kit.

I've worked on all kinds of engines since I was a kid and I still appreciated having a good buddy with great mechanical knowledge help me with the install.

It's not something you want to get wrong.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea, im thinking about asking a shop if they will let me stand around and observe, i dont mind paying, i was just hoping to learn a thing or two.
And yes i have a torque wrench.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
If you approach them right, that shouldn't be a problem. Good idea.
That's the key. Many shops don't really like their customers lurking in the work area. A lot of the time the reason for that is because of insurance. So, like oldskool said, "If you approach them right..."

Other than basic sockets, wrenches, screw drivers, allen head sockets, you will need a torque wrench, a piston ring compressor, circlip pliers, soft rubber mallet (sometimes), cups/bowls to put your parts in, manual, drain pans for oil and coolant, funel, and... I think that's about it. Possibly some Permatex Copper Spray-A-Gasket. Oh yeah... and luck. :thumbup:

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wow the more i learn, the less i know i know.
Thank god i didnt try this myself, i would make a pile of klx parts in the process

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Look on utube and Thumper Talk. There could be videos and articles on the process. The research will help you learn. Everyone starts somewhere,don't be ashamed to ask for help. I have built a couple of ford 302 motors but I had help from a mechanic first time. When I went to rebuild my old RM 250 I had the confidence to do it myself. Get to know a tech and they may moonlight and do the work at your home....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts