SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know mmracing sells an awesome kit, but its a little on the pricey side. I was thinking of getting an oversized rotor from siktendenciesracing.com (siktendenciesracing.com/KX65osr.aspx) and just upgrading the master cylinder and caliper. my question is what bike has a good front brake set up that I could swap onto my 65. should I go with a cr85 set up? or go with something off a 250 or 450? any help would be appreciated. thanks.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
do you have a 12" front wheel?

a cr85 has a single piston front caliper as well so its not really an upgrade. but other 85s do have twin piston calipers that would probably work better. If you can fit a twin piston from a full size dirt bike that would work great.

make sure to get a steel braided brake line.

whatever you do let meknow. I have the stock caliper on my 65 and really want an affordable upgrade.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm still currently rocking stock wheels(wheels are expensive!), but I get extreme brake fade. I figured changing the front brake would be a inexpensive upgrade considering the availability of parts on ebay for pretty cheap. I'm pretty handy with aluminum so fabbing up a bracket wouldn't be a problem. I may just look for something cheap and go from there. I'll update if I work something out.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
*Find a front rotor with the same bolt pattern but larger diameter, then have yer local machine shop/ race guru mill out a caliper adapter for a 2 pot caliper and yer golden.

*I did it 4 years ago..... never had any brake fade......... I did all my own fab work....:D

*after 4 years of brutal abuse I just changed brake pads this spring...

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
used a rotor from a 2005 Guy Cooper replica Xtreme CRII china bike. Bolt pattern is slightly different and made some off set inserts for the bolts!

Good luck:thumbup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts