SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I just joined a club and now I need a bike. The club I'm at does indoor mini supermoto in the winter and MX in the summer.

The winter requirements are 4 strokes under must be under 200cc and 2 strokes under 105cc.
These classes are misleading because the track is so tiny that bigger bikes like the KX85, NSR50, CFR150's are not very competitive.
CBR125, Z125 & Groms are not competitive at all. Bikes like the KLX110 seem to do very well.

I want a bike that my 9yo daughter can learn on and ride dirt in the summer, maybe even MX. Plus both me and her use to ride indoor on pavement in the winter. I want to start with a minimal investment. I was considering a used 2000 KX65 but have concerns about it not keeping up to the KLX110 in the tight corners as well as being more difficult for my daughter to learn to ride on. I rode a KLX110 and kept it in second gear the entire race. The track is so small/tight nobody ever shifts. A hightly modified Grom races there and he even stays in 1st gear the entire time and rev limiting on the straight.

Do you think i should wait for a used KLX110 to pop up or should I grab the used 2000 KX65? I know the KX65 will be better for MX once she learns to shift properly but she can't even ride yet. I also know the KX65 has a fair bit more power. I am 250lbs so the extra power is a big asset. My thoughts are that I can use the swing arm and front end from the KX65 on a KLX110 in the future when the kX65 is worn out. The KX65 is at a dealer freshly serviced for a grand but its already 16 years old so should I even consider if it hasn't been rebuilt? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Go with whatever is most popular for the events you want to race at, which sounds like the KLX110. I started my kids out on a DS80 (2 stroke) when they were 7 and 9. I'd think your daughter would do fine on either bike but the 4 stroke would be a little easier to learn on. A built KX65 race bike can be surprisingly fast with a light weight kid who knows how to race.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah a 10yo girl on a KTM50 passed me every race and I couldn't keep up to her on the KLX110 I was using. How much does the swing arm and front end from a KX65 usually run? I was wondering if it was worth while buying the KX65 for a grand just to use its parts at a later date.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CRF70 might be a better platform then the KX or KLX but it would need a lot of modifications to haul my 250lbs ass around and be competitive. I want something that will be competitive right off the bat with minimal investment.

·
Registered
355 Posts
If you have some coin, I'd highly recommend the Beta 125 RR-S Supermoto. Night and day better than TTR125; and street legal for around town goofing off.

My GF bought one mainly for the height, but my 6'1" frame had a blast with it at the local cart track. We've even rode 2 up a few times around Brooklyn/Manhattan. Prefer my 690SMC for that, but the Beta was still fun 2-up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts