SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the standard gearing on my Berg at the moment, It doesn't seem to get the wheel up as well as everyone has lead me to believe. I have spare sprockets but the are twp down on the fornt and two up on the rear. Any suggestions would be good/ It sits annoyingly between 5 and 6 gear at 110kph. i mainly commute on it with some twisties on the weekend and no highway, just short 100kph zones on the weekend between the twisties.

Cookie

·
Registered
90 Posts
I run my fs 450 16/42 and sit with a similar problem ,though the legal limit in SA is 120 so it works out fine .The bike came with 17/39 but it's just a bit too tall for a 450,and the wheel comes up with any of the above combinations it just happens at a different speed.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Do you want it to wheelie under acceleration? If so, just go up a few teeth on the back. I run 16/40 on my 650 and it will loft the front end under hard acceleration in first through third. The stock 16/38 gearing is really high, my bike still hits 120 mph on long straights with the larger rear sprocket.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I just noticed that you have a brand new bike. I assume you have the original exhaust and jets in the carby. Get a slip on or full exhaust and a jet kit. You will have no problems lofting the front wheel with the 16/38 gearing.

Mike

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
My bike came stock with a 16T front and 38T rear. That gearing was way too tall for my liking. I couldn't begin to use 6th gear under 80mph. I'm now running 15T/42T and I'm happy with the gearing.

What are your 'stock' sprocket numbers? I've seen some bikes come stock with a 15T or 16T front sprocket and a 38T or 42T rear sprocket so we can't really be sure what you've got.

And with any "what's the best" question the answer is highly subjective. Track junkies might prefer short gearing because they never see north of 70mph on tight tracks. Road junkies might prefer taller gearing because they often see 70-90mph. It all depends.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Do any of you guys have a copy of one of those gearing spreadsheets with all the Berg gearing ratios, final drives, and stuff in it? I am fiddling with my gearing and it would be nice if I could just try a few numbers before buying. I used to have one for my Husky that I wanted to modify but I can't find it on my computer.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah it is 16/38 at the moment. i got 15 40 sprockets with the bike, i may put them on it soon.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Put the o-ring on the acellerator pump .The bike will wind up so much quicker . I have got the 15 40 on & a full system my bike will easily power wheelie in 4th. I did notice the jetting was pretty far off for what I needed @ 1000'asl

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Yeah it is 16/38 at the moment. i got 15 40 sprockets with the bike, i may put them on it soon.
16T/38T seems like tall gearing to me. Probably setup that way from the factory to pass some silly government tests.

Are you able to use 6th gear short of 70mph?

15T/40T is certainly worth a try. One size combo does not fit all. Try some different combinations and discover what feels right for you. :thumbup:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure what 70mph is in kph but it hardly use 6th unless i am doing at least 115kph.

·
Registered
9 Posts
marco what year berg you got? I put my gearing back to 15/40 and if you are heavy enough with the throttle it will lift in 2nd but no chance in 3rd! even 2nd is iffy! I still wonder if my jetting is holding the bike back?! mine is a 2005 fs650 with full acro exhaust but std 05 jetting for uk,

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I still wonder if my jetting is holding the bike back?! mine is a 2005 fs650 with full acro exhaust but std 05 jetting for uk,
Full Akro exhaust system and stock jetting you say?

There's a very good chance your jetting is not spot on. If it makes you feel any better the stock jetting with the stock exhaust typically needs some adjustment.

The only way to know if this is the case and then also know what to do about it get your bike on a dyno run so you can review the hp/torque and air/fuel graphs.

·
Registered
26 Posts
marco what year berg you got? I put my gearing back to 15/40 and if you are heavy enough with the throttle it will lift in 2nd but no chance in 3rd! even 2nd is iffy! I still wonder if my jetting is holding the bike back?! mine is a 2005 fs650 with full acro exhaust but std 05 jetting for uk,
mine is an 05 too. the bike should come up in 3rd easy.
you must take it to a dyno and get it jetted properly, also becouse if you are running lean, you might damage piston and staff.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts