SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey what do you guys think the best gearing for street is for an Xr650R I have heard that a 15F 40R is the best for low rev riding at like 70mph but how bad will the take off be?:headscrat

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
I ran 15t front and 42 or 43T rear, and put 9k on it in about 9 month of riding it as a DD. it did 70+ mph every day to and from work. It'd still power wheelie in second, and in third if I sat back far enough and gave it a REALLY good tug. This was with a "sportsman" setup with stock rims and uncorked.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was told a 15/40 would be good but man I think I would loose all power wheelies :)

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I was told a 15/40 would be good but man I think I would loose all power wheelies :)
I used to run 15-45 gearing, it was great for 0-60 time. 1st-2nd gear wheelies were super easy. Know i switch to 15-40, lost a little acceleration down low. And 2nd gear doesnt power wheelie anymore. It takes some pulling back, or jumping to get the suspension down.

But the 15-40 is much better for the open road, im always going about 55-70.

1st gear isant to bad, lugging at 1400 rpm's in 1st i can go about 7-8 MPH.

Anybody watna trade a 41-43 for a 40 tooth steel rear???

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
It'd still power wheelie in second, and in third if I sat back far enough and gave it a REALLY good tug.
I used to run 15-45 gearing, it was great for 0-60 time. 1st-2nd gear wheelies were super easy. Know i switch to 15-40, lost a little acceleration down low. And 2nd gear doesnt power wheelie anymore. It takes some pulling back, or jumping to get the suspension down.
I should note that I'm 250+lbs, and I confused "power wheelie" with clutching it up.... Don't ask why, I don't know. Though I do know the difference. Brain fart, I guess.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
15/45 here. I like it, but I don't do "big" roads much. Mostly single track

and back roads with SHORT bursts on the interstate.

·
Registered
331 Posts
im running a 15-45 and i ride pure twistys only

if my speedo is some one correct it taps around 101-105

great snap off the bottom and middle, and still ass ripping fast on top

sure id like more top speed but i dont want to loose anything on the bottom

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
With my 15-45 gearing i could beat my dad on his VFR consistently 0-75 with the 15-40 gearing i could only beat him 0-50:eek:

Huge diffornce, and we ran multiple races to test this. dropping the 5 teeth i lost a lota low end, and only gained about 3-4 MPH on top end. On flat ground it doesnt wanta do over 105.

I think the 15-45 is to low for me because when im riding supermoto i generally am doing 55-75 regularly.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I would like to gear my lower but going from 15-40 to 15-45 is to big of a jump. I have the stock 14 front, i wonder how 14-40 would be??:hmmm:

·
Registered
105 Posts
I would like to gear my lower but going from 15-40 to 15-45 is to big of a jump. I have the stock 14 front, i wonder how 14-40 would be??:hmmm:
I think that'd be the same as 15-43? But I love my 15-45 for just commuting around town and reminding people how cool I am with a few solid wheelies.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've been running 15 / 45 on my XRR. As said in earlier posts, it's awesome for around town and on mid speed roads (65 speed limit) but is rev'ing higher than I'd like when up around 80mph.

I think I'm going to give the 42 rear a shot. I've got a nearly new rear 45 Ironman if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
293 Posts
15/45 here as well...Fast acc and still plenty of power in mid rang and top. I do mostly back roads and city. I try to avoid interstates.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Im doing a dirt ride next weekend with my dad so im going from 15-40 SM gearing, to 14-50 Dirt gearing. I think im gona throw the 50 tooth on the 17's for a little while to enjoy some wheelies:D

·
Registered
346 Posts
I sent you a PM.

if anyone is interrested i have a gearing calculator thing i can mail to you. got it from a friend.

its an excel sheet. you type in gear ratios, sprocket sizes, wheel sizes and rev limit etc. it then calculates speed in each gear and at what revs it would be doing that speed.. also calculates top speed for every gear.

seems pretty accurate

so if anybody want it PM me your email and ill send it to you

later

kealoha

1 - 20 of 20 Posts