SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've got a beringer on order for my tenere 700 supermoto and now I need to decide what master cylinder to get.
As far as I understand beringer recommend a 17.5mm piston size master to got with the 6 pot.
Are people here using a 16mm with the caliper? This is my stock setup and don't know if this could work?
Should I stick to 17.5mm and get a galespeed one or an rcs 17mm?
I am curios how a 19mm piston would work as there are more options available out there...
Any help appreciated.
Aleks

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I run a bro12 (17.5mm piston) with my 6piston aerotec caliper on my ktm. Its pretty stiff. I couldn't imagine you would get good modulation going up to a 19mm piston. If you like a reeeeeaaaaaalllllly firm lever maybe. Hopefully some one on here has run larger or smaller than that and provide some feedback. I'm happy with mine which was part of a kit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I run a bro12 (17.5mm piston) with my 6piston aerotec caliper on my ktm. Its pretty stiff. I couldn't imagine you would get good modulation going up to a 19mm piston. If you like a reeeeeaaaaaalllllly firm lever maybe. Hopefully some one on here has run larger or smaller than that and provide some feedback. I'm happy with mine which was part of a kit.
I am thinking the same, would be interesting to know if 16mm to 17.5mm is a huge difference or not...the beringer MC is almost double the amount of money from a brembo or galespeed mc...

·
Registered
966 Posts
Beringer are intended to be used with tiny masters. I'm not sure on the 6-pot but the single 4-pot radials are to be used with 12mm masters. You generally never want to exceed a 15mm master on a single caliper setup. Your picture shows dual calipers, so if you're truely running 2 of them then a 17mm would be OK, but on a single calipers, run 15mm or below. I'm using the Brembo 15MCS off a KTM 690 Supermoto (the ugly one) on my single Brembo M4 setup.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Beringer are intended to be used with tiny masters. I'm not sure on the 6-pot but the single 4-pot radials are to be used with 12mm masters. You generally never want to exceed a 15mm master on a single caliper setup. Your picture shows dual calipers, so if you're truely running 2 of them then a 17mm would be OK, but on a single calipers, run 15mm or below. I'm using the Brembo 15MCS off a KTM 690 Supermoto (the ugly one) on my single Brembo M4 setup.
Berringer suggests theb17.5mm bro12 with their single 4 or 6pot race caliper for a firm feel. They suggest the 19mm with dual calipers.

As far as other sizes I've run a magura 12mm but it was on a braking sm caliper which was only 2 piston and a floating mount. I like the integrated res on the berringer bro better than the remote res I had on the magura just from a crash perspective. Also the lever actuation on the berringer is great.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The two calipers I've got are brembo 2 pot and the master according to yamaha is 16mm diameter.. Beringer has 27mm pistons and they are 6 off them so I am thinking it might be OK with the stock 16mm but my ocd is telling me to get the 17.5mm as that is the factory spec... Yes the beringer looks and performance must be great but the cost is £450 which is eye-watering...
Hence the search for a different setup... 👍
What size piston and how many has your caliper have?
Aleks

·
Registered
966 Posts
the single Brembo that I'm currently running has a 32mm piston dia. It's the Brembo M4.32. For that I run a Brembo 15mm master cylinder and it feels perfect, very progressive and I'm able to module it very well. When the seal blew in that master, I temporarily put on a spare Nissin 19mm radial master that I had, and it felt horrible, it was like if you had planks of wood for brake pads, zero feel and immediate bike with a hard lever pull. But again, none of this really applies to you since you have dual calipers, and I have single caliper because I have a normal supermoto bike, not an adventure bike. Running dual calipers you will most probably need something between 17mm and 19mm. Why not get the Brembo 18RCS, where you can simulate a piston size between 17 and 19mm's so that you can dial in the feel you want.

I would take @shift1313 's advice since he actually ran Beringer's. My memory of it requiring a 12mm master cylinder for a single caliper is from 2008, when I ran the stock KTM 560 SMR master and caliper, which I thought were Beringer but they could have been Braking or Motomaster as shift1313 suggested.

EDIT: the stock 560SMR calipers were Beringer!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@Ungarisch thanks for the advice... I think you have misread my original post... I ordered the 6 piston axial caliper for my bike and will be running one single 320mm disc with the above rotor... I've decided to follow beringer spec and get a galespeed 17.5mm mm piston master cylinder... 👍 Need to get my r1 disc and braided lines... I still don't know if I should keep the Abs or get rid of it.. 🤔😅

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Abs will be a pita unless you have the same number of encoder cuts in the new rotor and the system can understand the pressure difference. I'd bypass it personally.
I am thinking to by pass both front and back get a more direct feel for the brake and just keep the pump blanked off so that it doesn't through a light... The abs ring is on the hub so I don't think it will have a big effect on the brakes pressure as it is a fairly basic abs system.
Aleks

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Like shift1313, I run a Beringer Bro12 with 17.5mm piston to a Beringer Aerotec 6 piston axial caliper. I think it's the best I've ever tried hands down. This is using a Braking 310 rotor. On a Husky SMR450, I had run the Brembo RCS15 which was very good with the stock radial caliper (don't know caliper piston size). I put a Beringer Bro12 on my CRF with a 320 Braking rotor and an OEM radial 4 piston caliper and it sucks. Hard lever, no feel, not even great braking. Not a good match for the caliper I picked. On my CR500 SM I was running (gasp) the OEM CRF caliper and master cylinder with a braided brake line and EBC 320 rotor. Not optimal, but better than the BRO12 with that other caliper.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts