SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK what about just machining myself some aluminum bar ends, for sliding on the asphalt?

I have had this fear since I was a kid of going over the bars and breaking wrists in a pair of bark busters.

Anbody run them?

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
If you plan on riding a motorcycle...id suggest you practice your dismount at slower speeds BEFORE you just go fast...Ive never in a lifetime of riding and racing seen anyone break a wrist because it got tangled in a barkbuster... but I can attest to several times light contact with other riders in corners has hit that ft brake side WITHOUT locking up my ft brake.

so...use them but have them angled in a smart way...and dont get the huge ones you see in supercross or outdoor riders using.

small...light and simple...aimed in the same line of fire as the ft pullers so there is a plane you can look across and see it. and bail your ass out if you have the opportunity to go down WITHOUT the bike. (sometimes fate lets you see it comming.) arms in and roll expecially at high speeds.

good luck

·
Registered
379 Posts
I would go barkbusters every time. I've whacked water barriers and tractor tyres (lap after lap sometimes) with my inside bar, while I've got a buddy who clipped ONE barrier with his inside bar and was out for months with a whole bunch of broken bones in his hand. Add to that hitting other bikes/riders and getting your front brake pulled on. And then there's the broken levers / master cylinders.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
i have ran both. with the bar end set up i am running now i just cut my levers down to only be two finger long anyways.

bark busters like sdmotard describes have worked well for me, but he is right, they HAVE to be in line with the levers to be worth a dang. and small, and simple is better.

right now though, i am just running bar ends as i dont race.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Handguards are invaluable.Crashed more than I care to remember and hands were saved many times.Plus they are durable enough to survive repeated crashes at speed and still function.I used to bump and bang bars with a guy that I had a serious rivalry/dislike with and bark busters are the only reason we never tied up and locked levers.Used on an XR100 they can be a weapon,we give eachother rib shots when cornering.Hand guards= $100.....Destroyed hand $10,000 to $20,000 and 6 months down time and no jerky,unless u r ambidextrous....someone else to wipe your butt! Don't the handguards seem like a cheap alternative?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Handguards are invaluable.Crashed more than I care to remember and hands were saved many times.Plus they are durable enough to survive repeated crashes at speed and still function.I used to bump and bang bars with a guy that I had a serious rivalry/dislike with and bark busters are the only reason we never tied up and locked levers.Used on an XR100 they can be a weapon,we give eachother rib shots when cornering.Hand guards= $100.....Destroyed hand $10,000 to $20,000 and 6 months down time and no jerky,unless u r ambidextrous....someone else to wipe your butt! Don't the handguards seem like a cheap alternative?

·
Registered
32 Posts
i'm using stock bar ends on my street tard. not crazy bout racing it at the local circuit so should i get bark busters? what are they for actually? i mean if they save hands then why aren't they used on sportbikes and other makes.. most crotch rockets crash at higher speeds than us supermotos so i don't understand why they don't use barkbusters :?

·
Registered
586 Posts
I've had plenty of rocks/huge freaking beetles come up and clip me on the hands, won't ride without them now.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Crotch rockets don't put the hands up and out like a dirt bike does, the widest part of that bike is where your hands are so if there is one part that you can't fit the first to know it is that little pinky, I run the bark busters for protection and a set of sliders at the bar end bolt, that way if the bike goes down the steel in that buster doesn't catch and do some major damage!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts