SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand the premise on a motor with good compression. Hard on the brakes, snick her down a couple and let the clutch out easy. But how does it work on a two stroke? I can see the gearbox going "BANG" with two much abuse.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Not doable...........well, if you use the brake, but it takes more time. I corner way faster with feet on the pegs or by draggin a boot.......less wieght= faster entry speed and different lines.....

·
Banned
531 Posts
I understand the premise on a motor with good compression. Hard on the brakes, snick her down a couple and let the clutch out easy. But how does it work on a two stroke? I can see the gearbox going "BANG" with two much abuse.

"compression braking" is a wives' tale. A four stroke with the same compression as a two-stroke will out "engine brake" it because of the valve train and system lubrication slowing it down through friction and more pieces to the puzzle.

·
Registered
702 Posts
im gonna disagree watch at 1:13 this is also the guy on the cover that everone thinks he crashed cause he has it leaned over so far. where his boot is almost on the handlebars. i cant find the pic. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWToAfBMM10

Dude, he's not backing it in hardly at all. Those are all powerslides initiated well past the apex of the turn.

·
Registered
406 Posts
ive backed ion my 2 smoker.....altho i did highside right after lol Really got to use the brakes, lot on the front to shift the weight, lil on the rear to start the slide. Dont think it is as controllable as a 4st tho

·
Registered
797 Posts
its easy on my 5 hundee

run it in there DEEEPPPPP and inside and TURN the hell out of it, all front brake and downshift minimum 2 gears and feather the clutch so it doesnt wheelhop.... its easy and i can do it for a hundred yards from wfo..... the difference is i dont get way crossed up and laid over and sideways like a thumper.... its more of a straight up and down crossed up on the center of the front tire like speedway, which is cool as i can back it in and still run inside the rider on a thumper in front of me.....usually as the thumper riders get more crossed up and sideways and they tend to drift outside entering the corner especially if they "overslide"....it doesnt hurt the gearbox anymore than a 4 stroke does.... the trick is to use the rear brake right before the apex to slow the rear wheel which straightens out the slide and i also hold the rear brake on lightly through the center so i can gas it earlier without inducing a gnarly previous mentioned speedway slide like roca....which looks cool but the 4 strokes are leaving you off the corners if you ride that way in a race... not to mention riding dead sideways takes you on a totally different line.....you can barely see how long i back it in at the bottom of the hill entering the dirt (1:23) even though the rear is only 6 inches or less out of line with the front on MikeD77's CRASH video
http://www.vholdr.com/node/767

·
Registered
516 Posts
"compression braking" is a wives' tale. A four stroke with the same compression as a two-stroke will out "engine brake" it because of the valve train and system lubrication slowing it down through friction and more pieces to the puzzle.

that's what I mean and was too lazy to write out. I have a 4 stroke and a 2 stroke and track them both. My 250 is very near impossible to back in. You'd have to be runnin WFO in 4th and kick it down to 1st or second to get it to slide. I have timed with and the sportbike lean or just foot on pegs resulted in much faster lap time for me.

I just haul balls and lean till my boot scrapes the ground....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts