SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have 2 55w auto fog lights and have hooked 1 up so far. Helps out alot at night. My question is will this kill my batt completely/have any other consequences? Its wired thru a switch which is batt to switch, ground to switch with a power wire coming off the switch to the light and the ground from the light is on the negative batt terminal. I do not use it during the day, but would like to hook up the second for night riding... will this cause any ill effects?

·
Registered
371 Posts
I've been wondering the same thing. 55w x2 sounds like a lot, but I'm not sure what kind of electrical load these bikes will support. I'm definitely interested in some aux. lighting, though.

Anybody have an idea if this is OK or not?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well I have everything wired up... I am going to go for a ride this afternoon, I will let you know if the bike explodes lol

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
hook up an amp meter between the negative terminal of the battery, and the bike.
then you can see if your bike can support the load...

or if you trust the OEM.... you can look up the power output, do the math, and have a rough idea.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
you need to know the rated wattage output of the bike (should be in the service manual)
then the wattage of everything running (lights mostly.. everything else we can guess reasonably accurately, but if its in the manual post it)

then the wattage of the lights. and do the math to see how far over you are.

although i would use a meter and test that way.. at the very least, use a voltmeter and see what the power drops to...
ex:
say, if you have the bike running at cruising RPM and it makes 14.0v... and you turn the lights on and its still 14.0v, then you're perfectly ok.

if you have the bike running at cruising RPM and it makes 14.0v... and you turn the lights on and its makes 13.0 - 13.5v, then you're getting close to pushing it, and id check the stator output wires carefully. for awhile, especially their connections but you should be ok. the battery is still charging when you're moving.

if it drops to battery voltage (12.5ish) or lower... then its far too much.

thats just another way of doing it... probably the easiest.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I tested with one light, 14.0v at cruising rpm, dropped down to 12.6v with just one fog light on... looks like I need to figure out a new solution.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Either get a new stator ( trail-tech or Baja designs ) or have baja designs rewind your stator.....i have a 07 510, had my stator rewound and did a hid conversion...100% better :thumbup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts