SuperMoto Junkie banner

Asphalt only for sttars races!!!!

6K views 44 replies 17 participants last post by  damndummyracing 
#1 ·
IF THE RIDERS WILL COME!!!!! STTARS WILL HAVE SOME ASPHALT ONLY CLASSES:clap::clap: BRING YOUR SUPERMOTO BIKE OUT.. See you at the track.

#6 ·
Will this class pay points for overall at the end of the season 1st,2nd.3rd placks??

#250:hmmm::hmmm:
I think the plan will be.... See if we can get the riders to make a class. Maybe a lightweight class 250 and under, an open class. I think if the turn out is good anything could happen.

#7 ·
ill start putting the word out to the pavement pounders :thumbup: the apex/adams track days get 45-50 riders, they did a "fun" race at the last apex day and it seemed like they all liked it, now to get them into sttars and get the ball rolling again:thumbup:

#8 ·
That would be great.:thumbup: I was thinking Sttars has some great tracks for some pavement pounding.:bannana:

#10 ·
supermotoUSA has it as well, good turn outs as well some guys do both. I think it mite be a good way to bring in riders from a sport bike background, kinda let them work up to the dirt if they want, don puts on a good series with some fun tracks just would be nice to get a few more guys out there and hooked lol, i think the potential is there just needs a little kick to get it going :thumbup:

#12 ·
Tri-County Powersports, the title sponsor of STTARS, will give every first time STTARS racer that shows up to ride an asphalt only class at the August event at Grange' a $25. gift certificate good toward anything in the store.

Paul Pecoraro
Tri-County Powersports
Husqvarna - Husaberg - Victory

#19 ·
Sounds awesome!

I usually do the asphalt only races up in Norcal and they are just as much fun as the sumo classes. They are typically held on the first day of two day events and they are non championship classes but plenty of riders still turn out.

It is definitely a good way for someone interested in sumo racing to get started without having to worry about the dirt.

#20 ·
New Rule Proposal: A first time racer can sign up for the asphalt only class only with an entry to a regular sumo class.

This would at least give them a peek. Yes, those nice 17's you put on your dirtbike will work just fine in the dirt... Yes, your DRz will make it through the dirt just fine young man...

Hope to see some new faces at grange :thumbup:. This would be a cool second or third class to enter if run later in the day.

#21 ·
OK, I'll bite.
Sometimes (not very often) I feel I should stay out of this type of discussion.
But...
I'm for anything that will bring more bodies into the sport. As such, I think having some asphalt only classes could be a good idea, if it's managed in a way to reach that goal.

What I don't want to see is a dilution of the sport in our little corner of the world. I have to think about what it would be like to go race my supermoto and have to sit around and watch 10 asphalt only classes, 3 go-kart classes and a couple drifter classes. Are these guys ever going to switch to SM? Why is the last race at 8:30PM???

I think asphalt only classes is a good way to introduce riders to supermoto. I think there needs to be incentive for those riders to join us riding supermoto or there is no point in doing it. I don't know what that incentive is but I would probably shy away from season points and various classes. Maybe just a 400 and down class and an open class, if they want more track time... they can always ride a supermoto race. That's the kind of incentive I'm talking about.

OK, I was just thinking out loud. How can we make the asphalt only guys want to ride supermoto?:headscrat

#22 · (Edited)
Paul,
Why do you have to look at it that way ???? What about guys that just like to do the asphalt only have to seat around watching wanna be MX bikes :headscrat ? Don't you rather go to an event with 50+ riders then an event with just 15-20 riders ?? Just try it out to get more riders before you worries about something that not even happening yet.

What I don't want to see is a dilution of the sport in our little corner of the world. I have to think about what it would be like to go race my supermoto and have to sit around and watch 10 asphalt only classes, 3 go-kart classes and a couple drifter classes. Are these guys ever going to switch to SM? Why is the last race at 8:30PM???

I think asphalt only classes is a good way to introduce riders to supermoto. I think there needs to be incentive for those riders to join us riding supermoto or there is no point in doing it. I don't know what that incentive is but I would probably shy away from season points and various classes. Maybe just a 400 and down class and an open class, if they want more track time... they can always ride a supermoto race. That's the kind of incentive I'm talking about.

OK, I was just thinking out loud. How can we make the asphalt only guys want to ride supermoto?:headscrat
Dirt, Jump ... I try them all. But I dont like getting dirty :) .RR for life

#28 ·
Thanks 32.. Any feedback?

#32 ·
Keep your eyes on this

The may be some more cool things for first time sttars riders. Tri-county has already put up $25.00 gift cards. There may be more on the way....:bannana:

#33 ·
I'll be encouraging the street guys I know as well. And for the record, while I have next to nill dirt/jumps experience, I'm not afraid or opposed to getting dirty in fact prefer it. And neither are the other fellas I ride with.

#36 ·
I have only done Road Racing. I am thinking about doing a race @ Grang'e. I have never raced in the dirt. 16 years AFM roadracing. I will try the beginner class. Gotta try something new. GIVE ME DIRT.

#37 ·
For every new member that comes out to race the asphalt only class at Grange in August, I'll cover $10.00 of your entry fee for that class. #14's dad, never seen you on a supermoto bike at the starting line ever, so I think you classify.

#39 ·
What? Just a bit of pressure?:clap: I can't race an asphalt only.:headscrat WHY?

#38 ·
Asphalt classes are really really good to get people into SM. When I started racing, it was just me and my stock DRZ. I did a couple asphalt races, and that really helped me gain some confidence to get more into racing. Eventually I bought a CRF and decided I was all ready for dirt, specifically the huge dirt setup at the GSR race in Reno last year. Well unfortunately two fractured wrists later, I determined I was not ready for racing with dirt. But a couple more asphalt only races on the CRF and some MX practice, I now absolutely LOVE riding the dirt. Actually I now consider it a necessity to have a real SM race. So it's definitely a great idea to get new people hooked. It worked for me.

#42 ·
I've been called out!!! Not the first time. One little problem. No Bike. Andrews will be way to soft for my fat ass. Anyone want to loan a bike for a moto?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.