SuperMoto Junkie banner

521 - 540 of 569 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #521
Titanium exhaust tip mount, version 2. Fits rightly.

Precision cut tubing to attach the tips to the silencers. (Only need 4 pieces to fit.)

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #522
Been working on the exhaust tips.

Made a couple of mistakes.

The welding went fine.

The silencer end caps are held in with snap rings. Problem is, I never tried installing the snap rings. Turns out the flanges are slightly too thick, can't get the snap rings in.

Second problem is, it was jigged without the snap rings in. Now, the parts are too short to use.

There's still enough material on the end caps to cut off the welds and still use the parts. Will probably need cutting, some clean up work and machining, and new tubings cut.

Then, round 2 of welding.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #523
Chopped off the silencer end caps and took them to the machine shop yesterday. Need to turn down the flange thickness.

Chopped the tubes off the exhaust tips today. Squared off and smoothed the tips. Ready for round 2.

Waiting on the flanges and new tubes.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #524
When I got the exhaust tips back from the first welding, I found this:

This cap is on the opposite end of the silencer. The aluminum cover next to it also has a burn mark.

My guess is the welder didn't have the ground cable on.

Not sure if the parts can be fixed, but I'll try. If not, new parts will be made.

Two steps forward, one step back. I'll get there eventually.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #525
Okay, almost ready for a second try at welding. Notice the snap rings are in place. Turned down the thickness of the flanges, cleaned up the end caps and exhaust tips, and cut new tubes.

Still trying different combinations of tube pieces for the best fit and symmetry. (The exhaust tips are not a matched set).

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #528
Had a bitch of a time figuring out how to attach the armature wire to the pipe flanges for a rough mockup. Solution was easy, just took me some time.

Will make a small loop on the wire end, so it can't slip out. These plates will mount behind the flanges.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #530
First mockup pipe still in the Toomey size. Crosses under in the front.

Touching the frame now, would need a small gap.

On the bottom, the string is tied at the distance the side cover protrudes.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #531
Second mockup. More gentle bend on the belly. Still Toomey dimensions.

Working on mockup pipe #3.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #532
Still have a lot to do, but this is where the 3rd mockup is going.

Need to mockup the brake pedal/rear master, and a shifter, for clearance.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #533
Started working on the gearchange lever, brake pedal, and footpegs, to make sure there are no clearance issues with the mockup downpipes.

Gearchange lever may be a problem, not sure yet. The gearchange shaft is pretty far forward. Looks like the custom lever might be very short. Might not have much leverage.

Spent a ridiculous amount of time looking for footpegs. I already bought footpegs, but I would need to make custom adapters. Plus, I think they would be good for another project. Not many pegs made to fit the SXV. Can modify CRF pegs to fit, but can mess up the finish. Ended up ordering Pivot Pegz. They're trick, and polished stainless, so I can have them gold TiN coated like the hardware.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #534
Hard to get a good pic, but the new pegs look great on the bike.

They are extra wide, very thick, and unfortunately HEAVY.

I'm happy, though.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #535
Been searching exhaust couplings because the pipes wrap around the frame (up-pipes or down-pipes), and the stingers will need to be separate from the pipes.

These are the coolest exhaust couplings I've found, so far. They aren't made for 1 inch pipes, so they would have to be custom made.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #536
I like using anodized aluminum washers with titanium bolts, but remembered there are a few places I'd rather not.

Will be changing out the aluminum washers for titanium washers on the motor mounts, torque bars, rear sprocket, brake rotors, and exhaust flanges.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #538
Machined up some temporary parts, so I can put on old supermoto wheels for pipe fabrication. Leaving the Marchesinis at home.

521 - 540 of 569 Posts