1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
If I had the $$$ I would get one.:phatyo:

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have 2 Aprilias so I have a soft spot for them but I was disappointed this ground-up new design is not lighter, more powerful, or both. The Super Duke is 186 kilograms and a lot more powerful.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've got one...it's awsome.

I've had my dorsoduro for 2 weeks, lives in the garage with my DRZ SM, which is my day to day bike. I've not owned an Aprilia before and it's my first venture into motards of this capacity.

The bike is built beautifully, it handles like nothing I've riden before and responds incredibly well to all inputs.

I'm only still running it in, so gotta take it easy, but it's sure not lacking in power.

I'm really happy so far (as I expect to be with a brand new toy!!!), I say when they arrive in the states (not yet I believe), go try one, you'll not want to give it back....

I'll add to this post as I get used to the bike!

I'm still working on my digital camera skills too, but here's an Ok pic of her.

Cheers
Kev

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I've had my dorsoduro for 2 weeks, lives in the garage with my DRZ SM, which is my day to day bike. I've not owned an Aprilia before and it's my first venture into motards of this capacity.

The bike is built beautifully, it handles like nothing I've riden before and responds incredibly well to all inputs.

I'm only still running it in, so gotta take it easy, but it's sure not lacking in power.

I'm really happy so far (as I expect to be with a brand new toy!!!), I say when they arrive in the states (not yet I believe), go try one, you'll not want to give it back....

I'll add to this post as I get used to the bike!

I'm still working on my digital camera skills too, but here's an Ok pic of her.

Cheers
Kev
How is that BIKE doing?:hmmm:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey Larry,

It's going great - getting better and better. It was in for it's 600 mile first service on Friday, so the weekend was able to begin stretching it's legs a bit. After bombing around on a DRZ, it's just fantastic.

Above 90, it's typical naked bike stuff, I'm a tall guy 6'5", so get blown about a bit...but below 80, and in twisty stuff it's awsome.

I'm finding the T setting best for city use, the twitchier S setting is great out of town...the front just comes up so easy:D

Gas mileage, I'm going to reserve about 80 miles, which is pretty normal type of distance on a supermoto size tank I suppose - pity Aprilia couldn't have made it slightly bigger....

The rear tyre isn't going to make it past about 1500 miles I reckon...and that's not even really caning it.

So overall, I'm loving it, I find any excuse to get on it, and it's an absolute hoot

In heavy traffic, I find the clutch a bit heavy, and the electric fan comes on a lot if it's not moving, so I avoid taking it to work and leave that for the DRZ...

I'm sure as the motor loosens up it'll get better and better, but I assure you it's capabilities are much much greater than mine as a rider...

The handling is really predictable, it's tracks perfectly through corners, and the brakes are incredible

Aprilia have a winner here...and I've included a couple of my amateur pics...

Cheers
Kev

http://i351.photobucket.com/albums/q456/kevbird_album/IMG_1503.jpg

http://i351.photobucket.com/albums/q456/kevbird_album/IMG_1495.jpg

http://i351.photobucket.com/albums/q456/kevbird_album/IMG_1494.jpg

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yep, gorgeous bike - thats for sure! I'd like to pick up a 2008 Aprilia SXV 550, but wonder if I might be sorry when the Dorsodura becomes available. Its a real struggle.

For those that own one, is it a supermoto bike or is it a road bike that just looks like a supermoto - kinda like the Hypermotard? Would you take it in the dirt from time to time? Its a listed model on the Aprilia Canada website, but the local sales guy knows nothing about it. Then again, he knows I want the 550 sitting on the showroom floor. Hmmmm!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey Promac,

I love this Dorsoduro, but I'd have to agree that it's more Hypermotard than 550 SXV. I rode the Hypermotard and the Aprilia back to back to make my decision, and the Aprilia, for me, was the nicer bike by a mile BTW. I own a lowly DRZ Sm as well, and have owned KTM supermoto's in the past, and the Dorsoduro is a different bike completely. It's based on ther Shiver, as the Hypermotard is based on the Mulitstrada, so they have manners like a roadbike.

So I suppose it depends what you want the bike for. The Dorsoduro is 185kg's so it's not superlight SXV either, it's quite wide compared to a traditional SM. However, take it out into twisties and it will behave like a supermoto, and eat superbikes quite nicely!

I don't own an SXV, but did consider one when I bought the DRZ (my commuter), and decided against it as it's very on/off, way too much of a handful in heavy London traffic!

The Dorsoduro I don't think makes a good commuter tool either - being a twin, it's not happy chugging in traffic. Take it out on a A or B road and I've not ridden anything more enjoyable, ever.

The Dorsoduro is not a bike I'd ever take offroad for sure to answer that question - you'd see your *ss in no time..I've jumped mine over riased crossings and find the back bottoms out, so it's not for jumping either!

Love the bike though, just wish the fuel range was a bit better!

So if you want a supermoto supermoto, get the SXV, if you want a high speed b road killer wait for the Dorso!

Hope that helps a bit!

Cheers
Kev

·
Registered
185 Posts
Much appreciated Kev.

I'll go with the SXV 550 then. I hate traffic - its too hot and unpleasant - too much heat radiating from the road, cars & trucks. I can barely tolerate red lights! I hate that "trapped" feeling. :lol: For that, I prefer my car with A/C. I would never commute with a bike.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts