SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with the last of the true Italian SMR510's? I've previously owned an SMR511, currently run a Nuda 900R. Now I'm looking at offloading the Nuda and picking up a SWM SM500R. The 500R is essentially the 510 with Athena GET ecu, and KYB suspension, the parts fishe is basically a copy/paste of the 510's...

Mainly interested in peoples experience with reliability and maintenance of an uncorked/powered up 510 :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Are you sure the engine parts are interchangeable with husky parts? I contacted SWM and they stated that it is not their intention to keep their bikes compatible with husky parts. This is a huge put off since you'll be relying on parts from a manufacturer which may be out of the market anytime soon. It is not even possible to see the bike at the official dealer since they fail to deliver the stock for months and are struggling to comply with current emmision regulations

·
Registered
11 Posts
All of that is not very reassuring and I cannot see the brand surviving if they carry on like that. There is not much more of that brand than few sponsored press articles

·
Registered
424 Posts
Old thread revival but I have now considering an SWM as a local dealer has one. They said the bikes are made in Italy and not China. Has anyone had one stateside with any success? $8495 is cheap for a bike with as much performance as these have!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Old thread revival but I have now considering an SWM as a local dealer has one. They said the bikes are made in Italy and not China. Has anyone had one stateside with any success? $8495 is cheap for a bike with as much performance as these have!
Like previous posters have mentioned, they're essentially the same exact bike with different plastics. Made in the same factory Husky made the SMRs.

There's low mileage 08-11 SMRs out there for MUCH less than $8500. I got mine at 3200 miles for $5k in 2014. If you really like the SWM look eBay has the SWM plastics that fit directly on the Husky afaik. As far as reliability goes? My SMR just rolled over 13k miles with zero issues along the way!

For $8500 I'd be buying a used 701 :thumbup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Like previous posters have mentioned, they're essentially the same exact bike with different plastics. Made in the same factory Husky made the SMRs.
The Euro and Australian SM500's have been updated a fair bit now, different frames, ECU's (Athena) and wiring, ABS brakes, cush drive rear hub. The basic engine is still largely the same as the old 510's.

I did end up buying one but have had little chance to actually ride it!

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Euro and Australian SM500's have been updated a fair bit now, different frames, ECU's (Athena) and wiring, ABS brakes, cush drive rear hub. The basic engine is still largely the same as the old 510's.

I did end up buying one but have had little chance to actually ride it!
Same here, just bought a new 2019 SWM Sm500r.
Had it for two weeks now, has about 1,100 km on him.
Pretty nice so far ?.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts