SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone on here rides with glasses and if they have a problem with them fogging up. I find that when you have anything other than open air on the other side of the lenses that they always fog up.

I'm trying to decide what type of helmet to buy, and I think that a MX helmet with MX goggles will smash my glasses into my face, while a regular helmet will cause my glasses to fog?

Or is there some sort of amazing lens spray or sticker that prevent fogging glasses?

Thanks,
-Alex

·
Registered
24 Posts
Using a Arai XD here, lots of vents along with the shield that can be flipped up at stops, glasses work good with this helmet. Kind of pricey though.

·
Registered
8,628 Posts
Your local dealer should be able to hook you up with......... Scott no fog cloth.

Different goggles fit differently and some manufacturers sell over glasses models. I wear old school Scott 87/89 over my glasses.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Using a Arai XD here, lots of vents along with the shield that can be flipped up at stops, glasses work good with this helmet. Kind of pricey though.
I have always wanted one....

I have had glasses since like 4th grade and NO I dont want/cant afford lasic. Thanks for asking

I have a pair of scott OTG goggles with chrome lense. No problems whatsoever. if i sit on the entry lane to the track (waitying for the GD karts!) too long they start to fog like just barely. I roll for 50ft I pull the goggles off my face(one hand) for one second and they un-fog. done.

·
Registered
8 Posts
dirt helmet and O.T.G (over the glasses) goggles work well in dirt. SCOTT makes the O.T.G goggles that I purchased. On the street, If you crack the faceshield just a hair, they should be alright. The only time I had a real problem is in temps below 40F.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a bunch you guys. A street style helmet (or the xd3:thumbup:) would probably work better. I was not thinking at all: stop at light; flip shield up/crack it open, will also work for low speeds. And once I get moving: it should vent fine. I suppose the OTG goggles will work, but would be harder to just take off at a stop light or vent at lower speeds.

Thanks again!
-Alex

Was actually looking at the HJC version of the xd3 style helmet, save some money...and hjc seems dependable and safe right? ...I've never dealt with them.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^^thanks. I just sent them an email about the helmet. It's a model not offered in the US (yet?) and I asked them load of questions including safety ratings (Snell, DOT, or BSI) and helmet material (i.e. "fibre/resin composite or polycarbonate"), I'll let you guys know what I find out. Supposedly all HJC helmets have a "BSI type A" rating which means they are suitable not only for street use, but track use as well.

Also, the best levels of safety are supposedly Snell (most strict standards), BSI type A, DOT, then BSI type B an other EN approved helmets (street use only, no track). But I have no idea what this means...

Also email Simpson about their version of that helmet style asking similar questions. Will also let you know about that one!

EDIT: Appears an article titled something like "blowing your lid off" covers most of this.

·
Registered
295 Posts
if your near a dive shop go in and find something called "sea drops" use them on my dive goggles, works great under water and even on my visor to keep from foggin up in the rain

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
I have always worn Arai street helmets (Quantums, Signets) and have never had a problem... I never liked goggles much but I'm not a motocross guy, so I never got used to them.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"sea drops" eh? I'll check those out as well. And as far as goggles, I just can't ee them working to well...even as cool as they look. Thanks again for all the help. I might be going today to try on different helmets and I'll give the OTG goggles a look. As far as the snazzy mx hybrid helmet from HJC...

"Dear Sir,
We well received your message and thank you for the interest you carry on HJC.
Following your request, please be informed that we unfortunately, couldn’t sell you the CL-XS helmet to USA. Indeed, this helmet meets the ECE 22.5 standards and is manufactured for the European market.
Thanks for your comprehension
Best regards"

So they can't sell it here because it doesn't meet our expectations? Not sure where ECE 22.5 is on the protection scale.

I'm still awaiting a reply from Simpson.

·
The Mod Squad
2,613 Posts
You could always order it from Europe. Shipping would be a bit more, but you would prolly still save as compared to the XD3.

Glasses don't fog like goggles. No comparison there. Just get a shielded helmet. You never know when you want to "fiddle" with your glasses. Goggles are a PITA in comparison to a shield.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Same here, bought it and never looked back.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bringing this thread back up because I still haven't decided...

I thought I was going to get the simpson DS helmet but it turns out it's not worth it because it's the worst of both worlds (i.e. shield doesn't fit tight enough like a streetbike helmet therefore allowing rain and noise in, and for the dirt, it is hot and dust comes in).

I was thinking of getting the bell moto 8 helmet, and he 89Xi desert goggles by scott.
http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/dir/large_img.php?id=36004

I chose those because they are vented, anti-fog, and they are basically clear during darker conditions, and then when exposed to the sun, they darken up like the "transitions" lenses.

I can only see one problem; that they don't fit over my glasses...

Scott does make the otg model designed for glasses, but no venting or tint on the shield. Can I just buy the light activated lens (in gray), and the "vent visor" for the otg model, or should I just give the 89xi a try?

Thanks,
-Alex

·
Registered
377 Posts
I use the Scott OTG model and it never fogs up on me unless its super cold outside AND I've stopped moving, and then only just barely fogs and as soon as I start moving it clears right up. The OTG model has more venting on the edges because its deeper to make room for the glasses. I was wearing them while riding my 4 wheeler early one morning with my buddies a couple of weeks ago and when we stopped under a tree for shade they both looked over at me and were surprised that my goggles were not fogging up when we stopped. I told them I never have a problem with it and they both seemed pretty surprised. I was surprised they were having a problem with fogging since it was 80F that morning already.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do you know if the gray light sensitive tint lenses are available for it? The only light activated ones I found were the blue ones.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Sorry no, I haven't checked into different lenses for it yet. Was just about to do that after an extremely bright ride home from work one day last week.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well I wore a pair of my friends (scott) goggles, and while they fit, it almost becomes completely unbearable after a minute or so. I think I'm gonna spring for the otg, and I can just wear my rx sunglasses under them...

I'll let you know what I find for replacement lenses...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts