SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I seem to be riding alone most of the time so I thought I would see if anyone in the Los Angeles Ca area wants to ride the crest or little T or anywhere fun for that matter. I am not sure where my skills stand in comparison to other riders but I have been riding (mostly off road till recent years) for about 17 years. I have had my XR650r sm for a few years and Wr400sm before that so I am not that new to riding on the street but I hardly ride in groups on the street (which I would like to change). On the days when I have time I ride Big T over to the 2 (the la canada side) and back up to 3 times. It is kinda funny that I ride the crest so much though I hardly ride anywhere but Big T/angeles crest. I'm open to riding anywhere, I have never been on a road race track and am dieing to make it to a track day or a huge parking lot/etc. I even have an extra XR650r which I sometimes let people ride. I live right in between the bottom of big T/little T and I am down for spur of the moment rides too, so if your gonna ride in the area and want someone to come with, give me a call. My number is 818 219 6111, you can call me anytime. I would love it if I was woken up to a riding invite. I am gonna ride in the next few days probably in the early morning since I have work everyday till the 4th. I start work at 10:45ish so that leaves time for a few crest runs before I have to be at work. I hope all is well with everyone and maybe we can be riding pals. Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I organize a few rides each month. Right now I need about a week or so to heal up from pain treatments. So won't be riding for that time. Watch this forum for rides. You won't see me post any Crest rides. Too many cages,cops & squids! I stay away from the Angeles Crest. But Little Tujunga & Bouquet are my favorites!

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
I organize a few rides each month. Right now I need about a week or so to heal up from pain treatments. So won't be riding for that time. Watch this forum for rides. You won't see me post any Crest rides. Too many cages,cops & squids! I stay away from the Angeles Crest. But Little Tujunga & Bouquet are my favorites!
I had an epic solo ride through ACH last monday, started at 10AM:

2 cages total - From La Canada to Wrightwood.
2 bikes total - From La Canada to Wrightwood.
No squids - unless you call me one!
No cops! - not one!

I had the whole road to myself. In fact, it was so creepy I was almost worried. I spent 20+ minutes adventuring the base at Waterman, and not a sole drove by.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks Mikebike, I guess I wasn't being very patient was I? I will schedule some rides, I don't know why I haven't in the past. There can be a shit ton of people/idiots on the crest for sure. I was excited a few crest rides ago when I saw a group of sport bikes that looked cool as hell (if looks determined speed they were among the fastest) going the opposite way and after hitting really slow traffic I turned around and caught up to the group. When I caught up to them I had to click down into second and cruise. They would speed up in the straighter parts but never fast enough for me to rev out third any way... the rider in back (on a awesome looking hyper motard) was leaning/hanging so far off his bike outside arm was stretched out and his ass/half of his thigh were hanging off the inside of the seat. He almost crashed a few times or just got really squirly to the point the bars shook/bike wobbled. He didn't want me to pass I think cause the many times I tried (he looked back a lot so I'm pretty sure I knew I was there) he would cross the lane with our wheels overlapped and he almost took me out a few times when I turned around again. I have never had a problem passing or seen anything like what that idiot did. I bet there are endless stories like this but this one was on my mind after what you said.

I got my first speeding ticket ever after a chp followed me for a few minutes. Every time I looked back he was within 3 feet of my fender and after a while of that I decided to put a small gap between us and as soon as I did he flipped his lights on. I have an M1/insurance/registration and he even said I quote "I was just gonna give you a warning until you took off down the hill". I basically kept my mouth shut after I asked if I could still have the warning/explaining why I sped up. His response was "you can not sign the ticket and I can take you to jail" and he was making fun of my name. I am waiting for my court date to contest it. I feel like cops like to harass riders wearing full leathers, especially if they are strong colors/pop out. Every time I have been harassed (pulled over for nuthin/treated badly) I was in full gear and I always wear full pads/boots but often with regular shorts and I think it makes me look low key (I also keep my registration/insurance in my riding jacket which I wear every time, pretty low key trail jacket) and have never been bothered by cops with this kind of get up. Anyone experience this?

Hey Pac, I guess I am not the only person who rides alone lol. I try and ride anytime I can plus only having a few buds with street bikes makes it so most of my rides are solo. I recently decided I need some more riding buddies :) That is so cool you can make it to wrightwood, I have a stock tank (which I prefer) and can't get a heck of a lot past newcombs without running out of gas. The time I tried I had to beg for gas and the dude that works/lives at newcombs gave me some lol. I need to get a desert tank....

There was a fire road (dirt) that was gated but the fire fighters used to give the lock combo to people who wanted to play around up there in 4 wheelers, dirtbikers, etc, I haven't ridden there in years and heard it was beat up from the guy who took me there but that was years ago. I bet they stopped letting people go up there after the fires but it would be a cool SM ride if we can still ride there. There was another legal riding area up in the crest called jaguar canyon or cougar canyon or sumthing like that. There are old mining roads that are paved or I should say "were" paved. Some people consider it a "hard" 4 wheeling trail though it is super easy in a rock crawler/dirtbike. Some of the paved sections are super steep for pavement, (bad drivers can hardly get their 4x4s up it) and it also seems like a great place to ride a SM. I haven't been to this place in years either. Now that I think of it the guy that took me there built a street legal xr650r and he has plans for 17s/etc. I am gonna give him a call and see what the deal is, he is a good guy to lead too. He can drop me like a hot potato lol. I am bored at work hence the novel of a post... Thanks for the responses and hopefully we can ride one of these days. Mike

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Shoot me a PM if you want to ride GMR early one day.. even tomorrow. I just looked at your screen name lol - I think we will have to hang out sometime!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Im down to ride ACH, I'm usually up there about twice a week anyway. Only issue is I come from the Wrightwood side so I'd have to meet you at Newcomb's and go from there.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I was so tired last night or I would have PMed you (Pack) to ride this morning. I have been working everyday since the 24th plus moving on short notice so I'm beat. I will have time off after the 5th but hopefully we can get a ride in before. I would like to ride GMR, I have never taken my 650 there. Sounds like we will get along :)

CBreakin, I'm sure we can figure out a way to ride, for me to get to newcombs I'll have to basiclly turn back and gas up or maybe bring extra gas depending on what you prefer. Don't hesitate to give me a call and thanks for posting. Mike

·
Registered
7 Posts
Another SoCal rider checking in, hopefully I'm not too late to the party. Feel free to PM or text me at (818)808-7747 with what you have planned and when. I'll most likely be able to make it. -Will

·
Registered
765 Posts
I'll post up a ride for next Sunday the 9th to see if anyone wants ride. I've never been to ACH so maybe you guys can lead me through. GMR is fun. I did it once and can't wait to head back

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Awesome, thanks for dropping in guys. A group is coming together and the locals are coming out of the woodwork. I would love to ride GMR, or anywhere for that matter. I'll throw some dates out pretty soon and we can get rolling. where do you guys go on your shortest of rides in the areas around sunland/shadow hills (other than ACH, little T, big T, GMR, just curious what else is around and a well liked road. Thanks again and we will be in touch. If I remember right, boquet canyon was freshly paved a few years ago, plus not much traffic though I can't picture it, was it paved not too long ago?. I can't remember the name of the road that goes from the valencia k mart to lake hughes, I think it starts with an S but can't put my finger on it although it would be a good on/offroad sm ride. Do you guys prefer all pavement or some dirt too? Maybe it just depends on a lot of things?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Awesome, thanks for dropping in guys. A group is coming together and the locals are coming out of the woodwork. I would love to ride GMR, or anywhere for that matter. I'll throw some dates out pretty soon and we can get rolling. where do you guys go on your shortest of rides in the areas around sunland/shadow hills (other than ACH, little T, big T, GMR, just curious what else is around and a well liked road. Thanks again and we will be in touch. If I remember right, boquet canyon was freshly paved a few years ago, plus not much traffic though I can't picture it, was it paved not too long ago?. I can't remember the name of the road that goes from the valencia k mart to lake hughes, I think it starts with an S but can't put my finger on it although it would be a good on/offroad sm ride. Do you guys prefer all pavement or some dirt too? Maybe it just depends on a lot of things?
Spunky?

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Saturday ride anyone???
GMR and Azusa are out... where you thinking?

If anyone is interested.. me and a buddy are doing a ride Sunday AM. We were going to do GRR, but it's closed. We will instead hit the best supermoto road in Socal, pm if interested.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Interested. But, perhaps next Saturday? Im glad to find more Socal guys.

Norman Perez (818) 823 7539 text or call whenever you guys feel like a ride. I live in Burbank but for the most part will travel for good spots. 10,000 miles on my WR for a reason:thumbup:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
So what do you guys think about a friday morning ride? I can't remember the street names anymore, I used to ride my road bike around the canyons near valencia so I have a lot of memories of wanting to ride these roads on a motorcycle, though I would have a hard time describing them these days. I am down to ride on saturday if you guys can't make it friday.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts