1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
512 Posts
i dont know about that. just by them claiming they swap out CRF150's and 230's for that motor doesnt add up. itd almost be a downgrade.

id try to source out maybe a crf150 motor or something similar, that way, if/when you need parts, you wont be up $h1t creek.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Agreed, parts is the main concern here. I have people in my parts department 10 times a week with chinese/korean/etc. junk saying "It's a honda motor" and all I can do is chuckle and tell them otherwise. Then they end up waiting 4 months for replacement stuff IF they can get it

·
Registered
175 Posts
i made a swap in my yamaha ysr. i had a kx80 engine in it and i bought the 200cc lifan engine to put in, still working on rear mounting issues (strength) and i have not yet fired up the engine.

·
Registered
220 Posts
most people run 120cc xr100 motors in cr85's if they do a 4 stroke conversion. personally i couldn't go from having a quick bike to a dirt slow bike. if you are going to convert your bike to a 4 stroke go 150r or 230.

·
Registered
310 Posts
my dad picked up that same motor about a year ago. It was a real b**ch to wire up properly. it's real heavy and pretty gutless too. I've ridden a crf150f with just a pipe and cam, and it would kill that motor hands down. Haven't had any problems with it though.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
I think the lifan 125 motors are somewhat reliable. They seem to be a common replacement in xr50 frames. I have no experience with them, I just have seen a lot bikes with the motors in them.

If you're ditching the cr80 engine, you may as well try porting and polishing it. Jet it or even throw a bigger carb on it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
im trying to keep this project cheeeeeeep
i just got the engine in the mail came with everything i needed and a wiring diagram
we'll see when i hook it up

1 - 9 of 9 Posts