SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have... :arsenal

So one of my buddies was over at my house the other night, and he took my WR250X around the block as he hadn't ridden it. When he got back all he could do is complain about the power and how soft it felt. Now keep in mind he has owned some pretty trick 450 machines, so I understand why he thought that, but he just kept going on and on about how slow it was. At one point he made the comment that Yahama should have used the regular WR250 motor for this bike, and not the one they did use. I made the argument about the tall gearing and lack of an accelerator pump making the bike feel soft, but he wasn't hearing it. On a whim I said let's take my YZ250F out and run them just to see what would happen.

Now keep in mind both bikes are basically stock, although my 250F has been rejetted for our altitude. Also, both bikes have a similar amount of hours them on give or take a few, so break in and modifications shouldn't be a factor. We rode both bikes through my neighborhood to a newer street that didn't have any houses built there yet and lined them up. I rode the WR250X, and my buddy rode the YZ250F. From a dead stand still the bikes were actually pretty close up to about 50 mph (the fastest we could go on that street due to length) with a slight, and I mean slight edge to the YZ250F - I'm talking like 2 feet! We also did a 5 mph roll on and the 250F was faster to 50 mph this way as it was easier for my buddy to keep the front end on the ground rather than starting from a stand still, but my guess is that to 50 mph or so in the roll on race, he didn't get me by more than 5 or 6 feet!

Fact is I was shocked. I would have never guessed the bikes were that close in a drag race as the 250F feels so much stronger. I think the big difference is that the 250X makes so much more speed per gear due to the tall gearing that you don't get the seat of the pants pull like the 250F gives you. All I know is that they are a lot closer in straight line performance than most people would think I'm guessing... :thumbup:

·
Registered
303 Posts
Other factors like shifting speed and smoothness count too....

but what you stated makes sense... perhaps it is not as torquy as a F... but the ease to ride will actually make it faster I guess...

thanks for the new information

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Other factors like shifting speed and smoothness count too....
Agreed. Honestly as my buddy races and spends a lot more time on an MX bike than I do I would give him the edge in this regard however.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any notable difference in rider weight ?
Ummmmm, yeah he might weigh 5-10 more pounds than me, so that would account for a little difference.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Ahh i wouldnt think so cause the yz is lighter isnt it??:D
ah.... how could I forgot this important point....:damn:

That's a very important finding here...:thumbup:

so now...

WR250X = lighter rider + heavier bike + slower shifting

YZ250F = heavier rider + ligher bike + faster shifting

And the difference is.... minor!

·
Registered
119 Posts
In the street i am sure they both be close to each other but in the dirt i am almost sure that the 250Fs will leave my X or somebodys R behind...maybe not toooooo far but behind is behind and i find that this comparison isnt good for the X/R but is bad for the F!!:lol:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In the street i am sure they both be close to each other but in the dirt i am almost sure that the 250Fs will leave my X or somebodys R behind...maybe not toooooo far but behind is behind and i find that this comparison isnt good for the X/R but is bad for the F!!:lol:
Yeah I would agree. Keep in mind this wasn't a staged event, rather two guys just having fun so take the results of it as such. Given that, I was still impressed how quick the 250X was, and would be willing to bet that if had shorter gearing, it would be an animal... :arsenal

On a side note, does anyone hear know how fast a YZ250F will go with stock gearing? Obviously the redline of the F motor is higher than the X, but it would be interesting to know how much real gearing to speed difference there is between these two bikes. I guess I could always take them both out again and pace it assuming I can find a place to do it. My neighbors already think I'm a treat so I'm doing going to do it around my house (20 foot stopies in front of my house on the Duke will do that apparently - who would have thought?)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts