SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just pick up a 05 WR 450 & would like to SM it on the street.
What do I need to do to make it street legal?

·
Registered
404 Posts
i have an 02 426 thats plated but mine was done way back when it was easy ! but a buddy of mine has an 07 450 thats plated i dont know what the guy he bought it from did to make this happen ! but there is hope it can be done

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have heard of a few ways, but as far as I know all of them can get yanked if they weren't done pre '04 :anim_peep:

1. Know someone at the DMV and know a cop who will sign off the vin verification and say it has the EPA sticker for road use on it. I think it can and will still get pulled because of that one digit in the vin that tags it as off road only?

2. Tag it out of state, state that it has over 7500 miles on it, same thing with a cop friend as above. I am not sure if this is any safer than the above though.

Good luck, hopefully you can figure it out :thumbup:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Take it to AZ and get it plated. Put all the street legal stuff on because AZ does an inspection. If you get stopped just tell em the bike is usualy at your vacation home in AZ but you had to work on it and brought it home. My buddy has a 02 WR and this is how he did it. Been stopped a few times and has worked for him.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I thought of doing the AZ thing since my dad lives here, but I wouldn't want hassle since I ride pretty often. But if you don't plan on riding the wr450 all the time, and the same route I doubt you would have much trouble. I think you can register an AZ vehicle with a CA mailing address if I remember right.

·
Registered
404 Posts
i dont know about where you live in ca ,but here in kern county the cops are hip to the out of state plating thing and they will pull you over just a heads up:thumbup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In Fresno.
Seen a couple other wr's running around here with plates.
Guess I'll have to stop them & rattle there brains.:lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts