1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
new guy here.
Anybody in the general KC area?
If so, any areas to practice around here?
thx
Scott

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sup Scott I'm from KC! Live up by Zona Rosa up North and I dont know anywhere as of yet. The only other 2 Sumos I've seen in the KC area are my buddys bikes! Gonna do some checkin and see if Heartland Park in Topeka has any practice sessions.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Ding Ding Ding.... KC here too.. i used to live a block away from Zona, i just moved though. Now im in KC out by liberty

as far as practice areas.. none that i know of either

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
KC action

Cool, I'm not alone... I noticed one of you has a KTM, did you get it at Letko? That's where mine came rom. I live less than a mile from their new location.

Just a couple of weeks ago I tucked the front on the street and lowsided at close to 55 or 60mph. I was pretty dissapointed at how badly my Joe Rocket Jacket and Alpinestar gloves performed.

The Jacket just melted which let the pads shift enough for my forearm to directly contact the asphalt and the stitching opened up on my Alpinestar SP-1 gloves and I got rash on the edge on left palm and rigth knuckles. Don't let those reinforced or carbon knuckle fool you. If the leather heats up and streches or shifts the carbon part won't be protect your knuckle anymore.

for my legs I the good ol Fox knee/shin guards which did great. My jeans just cam off in chunks but my boots and knee shin guards protected everything down below. My favorite pair of Lucky jeans weren't so 'lucky' though.

I think I repost part of this in the general section for discussion about protective gear.

Scott

·
Registered
133 Posts
Sup Scott I'm from KC! Live up by Zona Rosa up North and I dont know anywhere as of yet. The only other 2 Sumos I've seen in the KC area are my buddys bikes! Gonna do some checkin and see if Heartland Park in Topeka has any practice sessions.
We can just practice in your neighborhood Travis. I bet those 2 cops you got right across the street would love you after this.......:laughingr

·
Registered
56 Posts
Cool, I'm not alone... I noticed one of you has a KTM, did you get it at Letko? That's where mine came rom. I live less than a mile from their new location.

Just a couple of weeks ago I tucked the front on the street and lowsided at close to 55 or 60mph. I was pretty dissapointed at how badly my Joe Rocket Jacket and Alpinestar gloves performed.

The Jacket just melted which let the pads shift enough for my forearm to directly contact the asphalt and the stitching opened up on my Alpinestar SP-1 gloves and I got rash on the edge on left palm and rigth knuckles. Don't let those reinforced or carbon knuckle fool you. If the leather heats up and streches or shifts the carbon part won't be protect your knuckle anymore.

for my legs I the good ol Fox knee/shin guards which did great. My jeans just cam off in chunks but my boots and knee shin guards protected everything down below. My favorite pair of Lucky jeans weren't so 'lucky' though.

I think I repost part of this in the general section for discussion about protective gear.

Scott
Just be lucky your ok!:eek:

A lady pulled out in front of me on my R6 and I broke my arm (has plates and screws holding it together now) and had major road rash! The only good part about it was the sponge baths from the nurse at the hospital!:pimp:

·
Registered
56 Posts
We can just practice in your neighborhood Travis. I bet those 2 cops you got right across the street would love you after this.......:laughingr
Thats all I need is more personal meetings with the police...

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I've been kinda MIA on the boards for a while. I'm in Overland Park. Scott that have been me you saw on the KTM over by Letko. I saw a Husky SMR over by there, oh a month or two back.

There are a couple more guys on the board here that are from the area. GSnickets has an Aprillia. There are two others something Hamilton might be ones name, that have Huskys. Then there area a handful of DRZ's. My dad has one, and a buddy of his from way back has one as well that he just got.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Well, looks like we can get a couple guys together for a nice weekend ride one of these weekends. :bike:

Who would be interested?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I'd be up for a Saturday morning ride. I've got most Sundays booked with Harescrambles and day trips dirt biking for a while.

What's this? A possibility of a ride out with other people that have to fill up every 50 miles as well?

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I'd be up for a Saturday morning ride. I've got most Sundays booked with Harescrambles and day trips dirt biking for a while.

What's this? A possibility of a ride out with other people that have to fill up every 50 miles as well?

lol... hey, we can squeeze 100 miles between fill ups

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
eek, 7 liters.. and to think i always complain about my drz's tank
Ha, yeah I went out 24 to Manhattan, then on out to Milford reservior last summer on my dads DRZ, I was about 10 miles from anything and I had that DRZ sucking fumes. Luckily I was able to coast into a gas stop, but whew...

I'm still slightly considering selling the tard...sad but true. had it since January 2007 but haven't put that many miles on it. Kinda want to find a V Strom 650 or a Kawi Versys and do some big trips.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Ha, yeah I went out 24 to Manhattan, then on out to Milford reservior last summer on my dads DRZ, I was about 10 miles from anything and I had that DRZ sucking fumes. Luckily I was able to coast into a gas stop, but whew...

I'm still slightly considering selling the tard...sad but true. had it since January 2007 but haven't put that many miles on it. Kinda want to find a V Strom 650 or a Kawi Versys and do some big trips.
oh i hear ya... thats why i leaned towards the DRZ instead of a more race style sumo. i like to take trips. true the drz isnt the best option for trips, but it works better for that purpose than any other sumo. and still has a lot more capabilities than touring bikes.. give and take i guess.. less comfortable on long trips, but so much more fun all around

what type of big trips you doing? i just got back from austin last week on my drz..

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
oh i hear ya... thats why i leaned towards the DRZ instead of a more race style sumo. i like to take trips. true the drz isnt the best option for trips, but it works better for that purpose than any other sumo. and still has a lot more capabilities than touring bikes.. give and take i guess.. less comfortable on long trips, but so much more fun all around

what type of big trips you doing? i just got back from austin last week on my drz..
I haven't done any trips yet...but that damn Long Way Round/Down and the advrider.net ride reports are making me want to work out a way to do at least one big trip a year. I'm thinking I haven't been to all the states, so need to take care of the cont 48. Then a trip up north to Canada would be good. A trip to hit Alaska would be the ultimate one though. Maybe hit Mexico as well, I don't know. Just a lot of potential there.

With the tard, I love riding it, tons of fun. But it also just a crazy mix of so much and yet so little freedom all in one. It's more of a bike to trailer to places to ride rather than to get there and still enjoy it. I was down in Mena, AR last summer and the plan was my dad was driving back in the trailer and we (my brother on the DRZ and I) would meet up in Fayetteville, not too terribly long of a ride, but not bad at all. Well about 80 miles into it I had to call it quits and wait for my dad to come by in the trailer. With the chain stretching like it was I was getting so much chain slap I pretty much destroyed the rear wheel. The DRZ was great though, and I'd seriously consider making that switch, but then that takes the big trips out of possibility. But hey, once I find a new job, I should need to sell one before getting another.

·
Registered
56 Posts
We need to get everyone together and take advantage of this nice weather!! I've got a 625 SMC, (mine) my 2 buddies have Sumos that live here in KC too. 2006 Husky 510SMR and a 2001 KTM 640 LC4. Let's Ride!!!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Hey guys. I live in Springfield now but grew up in Independence. I will be up next weekend (labor day weekend) for Santi Cali Gon days and to visit friends. I am planning on bringing the tard in the back of my truck and would be down for some good old fashion hooliganism. I will keep an eye on this thread if anyone is up for riding.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts