SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
besides leaving the blinkers on or anything i mean.. i rode it sunday and she ran like a champ, started up no problems but come monday the battery was dead.

i checked and the signals were off, the terminals were fine, no corrosion whatsoever. I did just tear apart the front end and install a steering damper but i checked the wiring and everything seems sound. when i push the horn button i hear a little sound like it's trying to work which is why i think the battery is just dead. still have to go get a batter tender to recharge it.

just seems strange to run fine then be dead the next day.

any thoughts?

·
Registered
363 Posts
It doesn't take those small batteries much to drop voltage to where they won't start. I can't stress enough to my customers how important it is to keep a smart charger hooked up when not in use - I've replaced a few of those...

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
I'd walk back thru everything you did when last wrenching on it. An abrupt change after modification usually always means something went back wrong. My.02

·
Registered
251 Posts
Bikes don't charge worth a shit anyway....and Bike battery's are too small to carry much power. Keep em on a tender at all times...:thumbup:

·
Registered
208 Posts
If it sat for any length of time in a discharged state the plates could be coated with sulfates, sulfides, sulfites, not sure what the proper term is, and this lowers it's capacity considerably or kills it alltogether if bad enough. I think it is even visible through translucent cases as white deposits on the plates. I think the deposts cause a direct short in the battery causing it to drain. Someone more knowledgable on the techinical terms or a better definition of it, feel free to correct me if I have misrepresented it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Going to sound stupid but double check your connections at the battery. I had an issue with my 510 when I was at Deal's Gap and it wouldn't turn over, after looking at it for a bit I discovered that the terminals at the battery had become loose, tightened them up and the bike hasn't had an issue like that since.

Hopefully your problem is something this simple.

Joel

·
Registered
186 Posts
Batteries after time just die! The only way to tell if it is toast is to open it up and check the cells with a hydrometer and see if you have a bad cell. Not sure if you can open these up. Get a new one and a tender. Or you can try and charge it and hope it does not leave you stranded.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Going to sound stupid but double check your connections at the battery. I had an issue with my 510 when I was at Deal's Gap and it wouldn't turn over, after looking at it for a bit I discovered that the terminals at the battery had become loose, tightened them up and the bike hasn't had an issue like that since.

Hopefully your problem is something this simple.

Joel
+1 on this. Had this happen on my SV. Was a freak occurance for sure but happens. Thought I was stranded but the battery terminals just needed to be re-seated. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
363 Posts
The stock battery on my bike died instantly after I ran into a side of a mountain that jumped out in front of me. That probably isn't your problem unless you dropped the bike off the stand while installing the damper. My money is on a wire near the head stock is shorted. Maybe you broke a wire installing the damper or maybe it was already stripped and you just moved it so it was touching metal when you worked on it.

Good luck finding it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The stock battery on my bike died instantly after I ran into a side of a mountain that jumped out in front of me. That probably isn't your problem unless you dropped the bike off the stand while installing the damper. My money is on a wire near the head stock is shorted. Maybe you broke a wire installing the damper or maybe it was already stripped and you just moved it so it was touching metal when you worked on it.

Good luck finding it.
I'll go through and check the wires again. The bike was bought last fall brand new 07 SM510R. I did go through and check the terminals which were tight since they did loosen up on me once before.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
got the new battery and when i pulled the clutch and hit the starter then let go the starter kept turning over. it fired up and i rode it around the block then when i hit the kill switch to turn it off the starter started turning over again. Looks like i have a short somewhere or another electrical issue.

Now I'm waiting for the bill from my Husky dealer. My warranty expired 2 days before last Saturday when i dropped it off..... i seriously doubt they'll give me any discount or even cover it under warranty but i'm damn sure gonna ask since I never messed with the electrical system.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Well if you have a short somewhere. What you could do is get a multimeter. set it to amp reading. you will have to plug the test lead in the appropriate spots on the meter. Then disconnect the ground wire from the battery. Place the positive test lead onto the negative ground wire. And with the black test lead place it on the negative battery post. You should get some kind of amperage reading. I could try it on my bike to get a base reading. Then start unplugging fuses and to see which fuse will drop the amperage.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Your bike may not be wired the same but here is something to check. Did you hook the charging wire back up to the wrong side of your solenoid? Check your schematic.

Check that your battery feed from the regulator/rectifier is not hooked to the starter side of your solenoid. It should be on the battery side. If it is wrong, your new battery won't be getting charged either, as well as the starter running on.

I had this same problem with a starter after swapping a battery on a bike that had sat for a while. I looked at my manual and followed it, ony to find it was printed wrong.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have seen many of my buddies have these battery problems because they neglect the battery tender but never me . All you have to do is plug the battery tender into the bike after every ride. When ever the bike is sitting, it is a good idea to plug the tender in.

Basically, what happens is after your bike sits for a while, the battery will loose a little bit of charge. When you go to ride it, it usually starts right up with only little hesitant (depending on length of time sitting). This instant discharge of the battery makes it do what is called "drop a cell". This instantly ruins the battery disabling it to hold a charge which results in not starting the next time you try.

A battery with no battery tender will only last 1 year. A battery with a battery tender will last 3-4 years.

Plain and simple, my 2004 TC450 only has electric start. I DO NOT want a dead battery on this big stroker. I bought the bike used. I instantly bought a new battery along with a battery tender. The bike never sits without the battery tender plugged in.

NEVER had a Problem. Going on 2 years with same battery.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts