SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My YZ creeps all the time when I come to a stop, I have adjusted up and down at the lever and I can't seem to get it right. It is bad enough I can't start in gear, and finding neutral is difficult. I am using a Righteous Stunt clutch lever now but I have also tried an ASV lever and perch. Also if it helps, it is a Hinson clutch not OEM. The RSC is much better than the ASV but I still can't seem to get it adjusted to eliminate the creeping.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
clutch push rod may be bent -
bent rod can cause what you describe -

·
Registered
219 Posts
Clutch dragg

I fought this symptom on one particular bike, it ended up being caused by an over torqued clutch basket nut. I still can't be sure why , but using a torque wrench on the final assembly made the problem go away. Just my .02

·
Registered
22 Posts
Have you adjusted the cable sleeve? the adjuster on the lever is fine adjustment the cable sleeve is the rough adjustment. Most Yamahas are at the top right next to the lever perch adjustment normally under a rubber protector. Either that orits down buy ere the cable attaches to the clutch arm at the engines left side behind the cylinder.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you adjusted the cable sleeve? the adjuster on the lever is fine adjustment the cable sleeve is the rough adjustment. Most Yamahas are at the top right next to the lever perch adjustment normally under a rubber protector. Either that orits down buy ere the cable attaches to the clutch arm at the engines left side behind the cylinder.
I have adjusted this also. I looked at it today, and the PO lied about it being a Hinson, it's stock. My shift rod is straight, but my basket has some pretty significant grooving. IDK if that would be causing it to feel ill adjusted but I am going to replace the basket and get a new cable to see of that helps.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I dont know how many hours or how much abuse is on your's, but generally whenever I've reached the point that I can't adjust the clutch to where it won't creep or slip, is when the plates are toast and its time for a rebuild.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm assuming it is the original clutch, so it's probably due for a rebuild. Sweet. I don't like money.

·
Registered
375 Posts
My WR450 always had drag then it got real bad. So I replaced it with a Hinson clutch plate kit. It works better than stock. No creep and starts in gear. Had to ditch the springs it came with as they were too stiff.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I have adjusted this also. I looked at it today, and the PO lied about it being a Hinson, it's stock. My shift rod is straight, but my basket has some pretty significant grooving. IDK if that would be causing it to feel ill adjusted but I am going to replace the basket and get a new cable to see of that helps.
Yeah, a worn clutch basket will cause dragging, so will warped steel plates.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
I have a Good Complete clutch that I am willing to sell -
think it has all plates and springs -
98% sure its for 450 -

let me know if interested -
if you are I will post up pictures etc -

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
IDK if i need plates, but If they are original i guess they need to be replaced. It looks like the metal plates have been overheated. Groovy, I PM'd you.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got my clutch in, GYTR Basket, Tusk Springs, Plates and Gasket. Not as much as I thought it would be. It'll be in tomorrow, and we'll see if it fixed my problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts