SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here and wondering if Anyone has street legal husqvarna or ktm 450. Newer model years 2018-2021.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I know husky still lists an SM but i think ktm dropped the smr from their lineup. There is a 450exc depending on year. Only in the six days edition. After the early 00s the smr model had very little changed from an sxf model. Suspension valving, triple clamps, slipper clutch and some trans gearing differences. Obviously the wheels and brakes.

I have been able to street title an sxf model but i was kind of lucky. I know a buddy that did the mail in route for a south dakota title. But honestly if your plan is street it would be less headache to buy and exc or fe model and convert to supermoto.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Husqvarna and ktm currently offer a factory Supermoto. Husky for a bit now and ktm brought it back for 2021 and I’ve had no issues so far. The dealer said they can plate it before I leave and have been really helpful. There’s a lighting kit and such out there. I know an enduro converted might be easier but I want the factory tuned sm for around town hoonigan stuff.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Good to know ktm brought it back for 2021! I'll have to dig in to see what has changed.

I guess my point is that there isnt much difference between the sxf and smr. When i built my 12 i couldnt find a 12smr in the us so i bought an sxf. What i found was that the parts i added were upgraded from what ktm had at the time. You can also buy every smr part from the hardparts catalog.

If the dealer will plate a new bike for you that certainly helps!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep it’s back baby! Haha. I know it’s essentially an sxf450 but with ktm tuning it specifically for sumo I can’t imagine it’s not worlds better than me tuning an sxf by myself in the garage ya know? And I’m hoping much cheaper as well. The dealer has been great in helping me make a race bike a street legal hooligan. Any pa buyers I recommend schaeffers ktm/Motorsports.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I really like working with point view cycle.

I checked on the ktm site and see the smr back. I havent had a moment to check the differences but i wouldnt bet its different than you can build. The only thing inwould wonder is if the ecu is different for the traction control. Ill dig into it a bit more.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a fully street legal 2012 SMR if you’re interested? There’s a lot that goes into it, and mines CA plated. Some states will allow you to plate anything but most don’t let you run a plate unless it comes from the factory with one.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Currently in the process of setting up a 21' SMR for the street.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What state? I was looking into plating a 2021 seems very tricky..
I have a 2021 fs 450 . The only step holding me back is replacing the street slicks. The front is a 22 mm axle with 16.5 alpinas 17” rear. What options do I have for replacing the racing slicks

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I have a 2021 fs 450 . The only step holding me back is replacing the street slicks. The front is a 22 mm axle with 16.5 alpinas 17” rear. What options do I have for replacing the racing slicks
I have the same issue with a 16.5 front. I have 3 sets of rims. Mx. Off road and sm. My plan is to get another set for street. I like the 16.5 vs 17 for the track and don't want to lose that.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I’d be interested in seeing all that went into that. Picking up my 21 450SMR tomorrow...
Mine is done, badass bike for sure. Did a Sickass lighting kit, Vapor Gauge, headlight from a 500exc, trailtech stator, billet kickstand for an sxf that I cut/welded/painted. Still running the slicks which hasn’t been an issue.

Attachments

Reactions: shift1313

·
Registered
35 Posts

Attachments

Reactions: mxnut494

·
Registered
35 Posts

Attachments

Reactions: mxnut494

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to take those pics. Looking at the Sicass Racing site they state that you don’t need to replace stator and can run straight off battery. Can I ask why you went the route you did with the 500 EXC headlight and trail tech stator route?
Lots of questions, huh? LOL. Any details, pics and part numbers from your build would be appreciated!
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to take those pics. Looking at the Sicass Racing site they state that you don’t need to replace stator and can run straight off battery. Can I ask why you went the route you did with the 500 EXC headlight and trail tech stator route?
Lots of questions, huh? LOL. Any details, pics and part numbers from your build would be appreciated!
Thanks!
mine is a bit older but i went with the Trailtech Voyager gauge as it has GPS speed(and a few other goodies on it). My speedo is in the aluminum mount and i had to bend the bracket and mod it a bit to fit behind the headlight shroud since i mounted it in front of the bars and not off the bars.

On the stators of the new bikes I don't know what the '21 is putting out but i know the exc models from the previous gen were 195W while the SXF bikes were like 20W since they only need to power the fuel pump/efi stuff. Depending on the lights and if you run a fan you will need a bit more. I know the Fans are like 60W at startup.

edit, i snapped a few pics of the actual gauge. I have run a few different gauges on a few different bikes and this one is hands down the best.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sickass recommended for me to upgrade it since I’m running lights and gauges, I ran it for a while with the stock stator but killed the battery twice from normal riding. Trailtech doesn’t list a stator for the 21’ sxf and wouldn’t confirm it would fit but it does.

Reactions: shift1313

·
Registered
35 Posts
Also, I wanted the EXC headlight because it is the cleanest setup, got a rear fender and inner fender with taillight from an xcfw for the most factory look. (No drilling thru the rear fender to mount the inner part). Ran the rear flush mounts from the Sickass kit also. I work at a KTM dealer so had pretty easy access to everything.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts