Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Just got a DRZ 400SM - the bike came with a HID Country brand HID front light-

One of the relays went bad so I am going to replace the kit and I was thinking
about using the Same kit to replace it -- $49--

The kit has Both the HI and Low beam on One bulb --I think when you switch
between HI and Low beam the bulb is moved back and forth to create the different beams- (Not sure exactly what happens for sure but something moves)

I have not been able to ride the bike at night yet so I am not sure how good the
beam pattern is- but it looked kind of Wide from what I remember seeing
on the garage wall before it broke --

I read on some other posts on Huskys that maybe the bulb housing (lens)
may need to be changed so that it will have the correct beam pattern --

The kit that it has now the wires are Way to Long so this makes me think
the kit was not well thought out and having a relay go south so quick makes me wonder if the quality is as good as it should be --

So my questions are is this brand a good one and am I going to have to change
the lens ??

Can Shine some light on this for me--Jay--

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Regardless of the manufacture if the lens was designed for halogen you will need to change it to a HID housing/projector to get the best light output.

Im using some DDMtunning.com HID's and your kit would run $42.50 the bi-zenon kit. Now I have one H3 kit and some D2S bulbs from them. and in my opinion they work although not the best quality control. I have phillips HID's stock for the D2S's and the phillips is much better quality in the bulb department. The ballast i havent used yet and the h3 bulbs are actually different than other bulbs to get teh light output spot in the correct spot in relation to a standard H3 bulb but the HID gas discharge light is just different from the halogen/wire bulb it just isnt the same and needs a HID designed housing IMHO and many others.

In reference to the single bulb hi/low output the bulb has a solenoid with a metal shield around it that moves back and forth supposedly giving high and low beam output. However i have one of these kits on my FZ1 and its junk IMHO i get bette light out of the low than high and its still horrible spraying light all over blinding oncoming drivers, its a SAFETY HAZARD IMHO and i will be swapping it for a true HID projector setup from HIPplanet.

z

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Proz
Thanks for the info --

After I wrote the above post I took the relay apart and fixed it --
it had a extra contact plate in that had come loose and had jammed the
the other contact open so now the light works -

I also pulled the bulb out and unlike most other brands of these lights
the bulb actually moves in and out about half a inch to adjust for HI and Low beam-

So I wonder what brand of reflector will work best to get a good beam pattern?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts