SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
I have a 16 T CS sprocket in the garage, I just need to install it.

As soon as I have some time, I'll slap that sucker on. All of my gearing calcs tell me that the bike will rev out slightly more in each gear, give it a little more top end, and drop the revs at the upper end like when cruising on the freeway.

·
Registered
133 Posts
6th gear:
15T = 65mph @ 5,000rpm
16T = 69mph @ 5,000rpm

For the riding I do I like it a lot. 6th gear is pretty much freeway only now. I think comes down to how much time you spend at 70+ mph. IMO, with stock gearing the bike purred nicly at 65mph but was over reving at 70+mph. Now with a 16T I find myself commuting at 70 instead of 65. I have been going back to 5th at 50-55mph.

I have no complaints about the power in the lower gears with the 16T. It still pulls hard..
I posted this a month or so ago. Since then I have slowed down a lot and often ride at 55mph in 6th at around 4300rpm. I still like the 16T a lot.....

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
The bike may have a higher top speed, marginal, but overall it is slower. I ran -2 in the rear for awhile and it doesn't accelerate that way it did with stock gearing. I also had the 16t available, but sold it to someone here recently.

·
Registered
657 Posts
A 16 tooth countershaft sprocket on the 610 is pretty much a win win. The 610 has plenty of grunt and can handle the extra gear without loosing much if anything. You get more top speed, at least 5mph, more comfortable highway cruising, and the taller gearing stretches out the spread between each gear which works with the 610.

·
Registered
115 Posts
16t ftw.

I only notice the tiniest difference in acceleration. The jump to 16t isn't even that big. Revs are only dropped a tiny bit on the hwy, but that tiny bit helps. Best part is that the lower gears are more usable pulling out of corners. Before I was running out of 4th in my neighborhood. The guys who complain about the 16t aren't carrying enough corner speed!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Short shifting through the gears makes the bike accelerate the fastest. Changing the gearing so you are in any gear longer is gonna be slower as far as acceleration. Regardless, it's a tradeoff. If north of 90 mph is where you spend your time, then it's probably a good idea. I only hit one or two sweepers in my weekly riding where I am leaned over at that kind of speed, around 90mph. I could care less about doing 90 plus in a straight line anymore. That was more of a novelty when I first got the bike.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Guys, you were right. I just put a 19t sprocket on my bike from the 24-7 Sprocket Shoppe. The acceleration is mind blowing. :D

I got nothing. Have fun in the triple digits.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Went to a 16 tooth counter the first week I owned my 610.
6th gear @ 5500 rpm = 75 mph. Perfect gear for freeway survival. When you grab a handful from there it will make your eyes big.:eek:

·
Registered
115 Posts
I used the OEM husky part, bought it from another SMJ'er.

For dirt bike guys, they probably like the shorter gearing. For a guy who came from sportbikes like myself, it's still shorter than ANY bike I've ever ridden.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I used the OEM husky part, bought it from another SMJ'er.

For dirt bike guys, they probably like the shorter gearing. For a guy who came from sportbikes like myself, it's still shorter than ANY bike I've ever ridden.
Hmm I was told by a Husqvarna dealer,that Husqvarna didn't sell a factory
16 tooth counter sprocket.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
My '06 610 actually came OEM with a 16t and I ordered a 15t for better bottom end wheelies and such. My buds on the same bike tell me now that the 16t will actually help in wheelies cuz you won't run outta gear so quick and it will be easier to shift into 2nd while vertical.

Any thoughts on this before I change it back to see. :hmmm:

·
Registered
74 Posts
My '06 610 actually came OEM with a 16t and I ordered a 15t for better bottom end wheelies and such. My buds on the same bike tell me now that the 16t will actually help in wheelies cuz you won't run outta gear so quick and it will be easier to shift into 2nd while vertical.

Any thoughts on this before I change it back to see. :hmmm:
I agree with your buds if you bring it up in 1st then shift into higher gears. I like to bring it up in second though, so I think a 16T would hurt my efforts.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I run 17 - 47 and it is much better for highway speeds!
You need to grind a thin sliver off the clutch post hump on the engine case and remove the chain guard completely.:thumbup:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Deals Gap

Hey Goose Dog,

I had the 610 and my R1 out to Maggie Valley in May.
Had the gang over to Mountain Man's for Bob-Be-Que!
We will be back next year! We ride for a week (NC,TN,GA,SC) and always visit the snake one day! I will call you next year and let you know which day we ride in you area. :thumbup:

Indy

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Sounds good, hadn't seen Bob or had his BBQ in awhile. :thumbup:
Let me know in advance and I'll put together a motard and a dirt ride together if ya want.

Sorry for jackin' the thread.:D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts