SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read and been told a different answer each time I ask the question.. So.. if you have a 5 inch rim, post up what you run and what type of riding you do. I've been told going to a 150 is the best thing to do for several reasons but I personally feel it's too small for a 5 inch rim. If it's the hot set up and I'm missing the boat, I want to know. I know the stock size tire that came on my bike was a 165-55-17 but not many options in the size for a dot street tire. I don't do enough track days to buy full on race tires so I need to decide what I want to run. I had planned on going with Bridgestones BT003's as they're my new favorite. I can buy both 150-60 or 160-60 so I figured I'd try here to see what everyone recommends. I'm a twisty freak, pretty much the only time my 525 with leave the garage is to run the local mountain twisties or do a track day. The best handling is what I'm after, not tire life.

I also have an oil question but I don't think now's the time to ask..:D

·
Registered
181 Posts
160 is the go for a 5 inch, 150 has a too flat profile.

most 160 street tyres are around 165 true width anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,323 Posts
160-60 Contiforce SM's here. Also 165 Maxxis Rain tires. The 165 Rain tires are skinny, as are the slicks, and that's about as skinny as I would go personally. Never would try a 150, even though I have some laying around.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good stuff guys.. Thanks:thumbup: I was reading about the Conti SM tires and how they are designed for the lightweight supermotos. Is there really a big difference between the Conti SM and a tire like the Bridgestone Bt003's that I like? I ran Bt003's on my Husky 610sm with very good results. My SMR is about 60 lbs. lighter but I was thinking about going with the same tires. I'm a bit of a fat ass (about 235 lbs. in full gear) so consider that when talking about tires designed for light weight.

·
Premium Member
1,323 Posts
I have never tried BT003's. But, I also have never had one scary or uncertain moment at any temperature when on the Conti SM's. I get 2 wheel drift sometimes when leaned all the way over to the edge when it is 95+ degrees, but I suspect lots of tires feel greasy like that when they get that hot! :lol: It isn't an unpredictable or scary "gonna eat it" feeling though, and times that it happens have been very rare. In fact, I only had that happen riding in CA, so it is probably the pavement as much as it is the full sun and extreme heat.

Give whatever you like a try though. Lots of guys just like the Conti's a lot. They do heat up quickly and stick really well.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have never tried BT003's. But, I also have never had one scary or uncertain moment at any temperature when on the Conti SM's. I get 2 wheel drift sometimes when leaned all the way over to the edge when it is 95+ degrees, but I suspect lots of tires feel greasy like that when they get that hot! :lol: It isn't an unpredictable or scary "gonna eat it" feeling though, and times that it happens have been very rare. In fact, I only had that happen riding in CA, so it is probably the pavement as much as it is the full sun and extreme heat.

Give whatever you like a try though. Lots of guys just like the Conti's a lot. They do heat up quickly and stick really well.

Yeah, I really liked the 003's on my Husky. I did one track day on them in temps about 85 deg. and had them melted pretty good with a nice controlled 2 wheel slide towards the end of the sessions. I was still riding sportbike style at that point so it's probably not the same type of slide your talking about but I get the idea.. The new KTM feels totally different than the Husky so I'm still getting familiar with how she reacts but I find myself more comfortable leg out on the KTM than I did on the Husky, not sure why.:headscrat The bike almost feels too light to hang off and drag a knee.. I seriously feel like a gorilla on a mini bike, can toss it into a turn or over any obstical like it's noting. When it slides around and bucks the front end in the air it gives me a grin from ear to ear.:D It's got some crap tires on it right now so I can't wait to see how it feels with good rubber.:thumbup:

I'm never opposed to trying new tires, I think they keep getting better and better every year.. That was my first try with the 003's, I was a Metzler or Pirelli guy for a long time but the prices got out of hand. You would think a supermoto specific tire would be better for a supermoto so I'm going to consider the Conti's. Thanks for the info.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts