SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats going on traders? I am an android phone user and I am curious about some of the motorcycle route apps out there. Have any of you used any of them? I haven't seen any that integrate with google maps or nave but I don't want to spend the money on one if it's no good. Any ideas? Let me know if nothing else I will download one and write a review of it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
you talking as in gps?like traffic directions? the app called navigation withe the blue arrow as a symbol works better than my tom tom

·
Registered
147 Posts
i use gps google earth for tracking. you can track and mark locations. later up load it on your computer and open it in google earth and see your route.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
apps not maps

No I am talking about apps that give you routes to follow that are off major highways. backroad routes and such. I have the nave and the earth and the maps but these apps will give you actual routes to follow.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Check out "my tracks"
It's not really for planning rides but it does integrate with google maps and includes info like average speed, top speed, elevation gain, etc.

Plus you can share your routes with friends and I believe they can follow them.

·
Registered
624 Posts
No I am talking about apps that give you routes to follow that are off major highways. backroad routes and such. I have the nave and the earth and the maps but these apps will give you actual routes to follow.
I get what you are asking for. I looked for the same type of app a while ago but never found a free one. It would be nice to be able to pick a start and finish destination on the map and then have the directions given to you in a way that puts you on "motorcycle friendly" roads.

As far as tracking goes, My Tracks is a good one that lets you import in to your Google account and see the tracks online on google maps.
Another cool tracking program is Open GPS Tracker which lets you take videos/pictures along your route and will pin them to the location where you took the vid/pic.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
app development

How hard would it be to create an app? What is involved?
Well that all depends on your computer skills. If you are fluent in JAVA, I'm guessing it wouldn't be too hard. here is a couple of links that may help you if your thinking of doing so. I for one even if I had all the skills (which I have some of them) I wouldn't have the time. Here is what would be ideal.

1. uses google maps and nav for your route.
2. user submitted routes.
3. shows gas stations and rest spots.
4. shows some off road areas to ride.
5. allows you to post your route to a forum such as this one.
6. Free ride option that will just track your route as you ride with the edit option if you take a road you didn't' like afterwords.

Here is some development links. http://www.androidsx.com/what-does-it-take-to-develop-some-android-applications-our-experience/
http://mashable.com/2010/07/12/google-app-inventor/http://
www.talkandroid.com/google-android-application-guide/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts