SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is the second pair of sneakers this summer that got ruined due to the kick starter ...

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Yep, same bike, same problem. goin on my 2nd set of nikes in 3 months and it looks like i'm an emo cutter on my shins, before one kick start wound can heal i take another shot to the shin and its bruised and bloody all over again. :rolleyes: oh the joys of kickstarting.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Seriously guys, wear boots. Not just for the kicstarting,, but if you go down, Nikes don't stay on for long, and having fucked up feet blows.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Ok then, because i use my bike as a daily driver, goin to work, random ass rides, and just general erronds i need something i can wear while riding that i can also wear doing those things. need to be black (for work) and can't be an actual boot, still needs to look like a shoe not a chunk of a transformer clinging to my leg... that being said i'm broke so lets keep the price under like $100... Can it be done, does it exist? :hmmm:

·
Registered
309 Posts
Shift makes some good street shoes. I wear their fuel street shoe. They were about $100. Kinda stiff at first, but break in nicely. They are all leather and are built to last. I've had mine about a year and crashed in them and still going strong.

They hold up to kick starts as well.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Oh cool i will look into those for sure, thanks :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Oh really...? ya well sometimes on that first kick its like kicking a brick wall, and when the shoe is a little wet from the dew in the grass my shin b lines straight for the damn footpeg everytime! ugh i want electric start... :headshake

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
Ok then, because i use my bike as a daily driver, goin to work, random ass rides, and just general erronds i need something i can wear while riding that i can also wear doing those things. need to be black (for work) and can't be an actual boot, still needs to look like a shoe not a chunk of a transformer clinging to my leg... that being said i'm broke so lets keep the price under like $100... Can it be done, does it exist? :hmmm:
Buy a backpack, and carry normal shoes with you. That being said, I've worn my Sidis many times all day long at work, and they're one of the most comfortable shoes I own. But they do look a riding boot, and I've had some odd questions about them :lol: I've grown so accustomed to always riding in boots, that I feel naked without a full on boot when I'm riding, I just can't do it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
If you see me kicking my bike, it's because I'm pissed and the e-starter isn't working.

·
Registered
218 Posts
+1 on the Backpack:thumbup:

·
Registered
637 Posts
I have two pairs of Caterpillar Second Shift work boots. One black I've had for about six months. The brown pair I've had for about 4 years. I've worn the brown pair more than all the other shoes I have combined because I also commute on the bike and almost always wear them to work. And yes, I've been down in them. The still look fine after a little polishing, and my feet were fine as well. In fact, I'm wearing them today. $70. I wouldn't go race in them, but they're fine for commuting.

EDIT: And for what it's worth, one of my bikes is a kick start as well.

·
Registered
514 Posts
+500 on wearing a backpack. I've seen guys go down wearing regular shoes, and they're typically the first thing to go flying once you hit pavement.

Scour craigslist and you'll probably find a reasonably priced set of MX boots in your area.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Here's a little more perspective on riding without proper boots, pulled from another forum I'm on.

Upon further examination it won't be quite so simple. First off, they'd use a big rod down the shaft of the tibia (inserted through the top/tibial plateau with the knee bent using big freakin' hammers --how's that for a gruesome picture?).

More importantly, he, uh, seems to have degloved his foot as well as breaking about half of the bones therein. Yeah. There's another female trauma who also has similar degloving + foot injuries. I think they were on the same bike...

·
Registered
140 Posts
My wr 400 kicks in so easy I never had a problem. All bikes should have a manual decomp lever it makes your life a breeze. It's so easy that it makes you feel superior to an e-starter! :D

No battery to worry about and kicks in first time every time! :bannana:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts