SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping you can help a new guy,
I'm finally getting a bike at 27, took long enough!
Looking for a bit of advice.
I am taking my MSF Class next week and looking to buy a bike asap (no riding experience). I like the WR250X, but am worried that me being 6'4", 230lbs the bike will be too strained. Am I way better off getting a DRZsm? The bike will be used for NYC commuting and running around, I will rarely need to go above 55mph.

Does anyone else around my size have experience on both?

One other thing, I am inclined to buy used, however if I was to go look at a bike in person, I really wouldn't know whether it's in good shape, nor do I have friends to take up the task. This worries me. If I stick to bikes with >5,000 miles on them, would I be more or less safe?

Any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Either would be good choice for a 1st bike. Lower gearing will help make either bike quicker. However,there is no replacement for displacement. The biggest issue you will face,because of your size,will be upgrading your suspension. Used bikes are plentiful. It's money ahead to buy used with good aftermarket parts.

DRZ look for FCR carb and full exhaust

WR look for full exhaust and power programmer for fuel injection. These parts run up to $1000 retail.

Both bikes have low maintenance intervals. 3000 mile oil changes and 15000 mile valve checks. These bikes are tough and unless they have been crashed should be ok.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For someone like me, with no experience, how hard it is the work on the suspension? Is it a matter of changing out a spring? Im fairly handy...

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
For someone like me, with no experience, how hard it is the work on the suspension? Is it a matter of changing out a spring? Im fairly handy...
Best to send to a pro! Dave at www.fastbikeindustries.com is your guy. Ship him your forks and shock. He will do his magic and send them back to you. Takes about a week to turn around.

·
Registered
62 Posts
One other thing, I am inclined to buy used, however if I was to go look at a bike in person, I really wouldn't know whether it's in good shape, nor do I have friends to take up the task. This worries me. If I stick to bikes with >5,000 miles on them, would I be more or less safe?
Just make the sale contingent on having the bike checked out at a shop first. The seller won't mind, if it's a good bike. Good luck and ride up a full staircase as soon as possible, just to get it over with because everyone will ask.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think the WR is best suited to an experienced rider or to a novice. For a street legal 4 stroke 250 the power is quite good, I think. However as others have said, it still has no balls as it is a 250.

I think it is a good bike for an experienced rider who knows what they want, and who wants to hone their riding skill and increase their speed by intentionally riding a bike with relatively low power output.

I think it is a good bike for a novice as well as it is easy to ride, low maintenance, reasonably comfortable, economical, and not intimidating at all.

A guy in between will probably want something with a much stronger engine for pure fun factor.

·
Registered
127 Posts
its funner to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow. like u said ur not gunna run over 55 most the time so id say gear it down a touch and mash

·
Registered
102 Posts
for what is worth I'm 6'4" and 235lbs. I rode a friends wrx and it felt gutless. I ride a stock drz400sm. once i stiffened up the suspension and got a higher seat the drz is great fun. I still want more power so I'll be getting a fcr and a mrd ssw exhaust soon.

For guys our size I do not recomend the wrx. its a fun bike but I think you will get bored with the small 250 motor pretty quickly.

-Dan

·
Registered
63 Posts
6'4" 200 lbs, my drzsm is tits, feels just right, never had a bike suit me better

Any bike is under gutted compared to the next one up, but if you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did you have to change out the shock/fork springs? how hard is this to do, keeping in mind im new to bikes.

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
yo

im new to the site.. i'm 5'10 and 150lbs so im alot smaller but i love my kawasaki klx 250! its more modern, slightly weak stock but easily changed!! ( great gas milage)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Did you have to change out the shock/fork springs? how hard is this to do, keeping in mind im new to bikes.

Thanks
Stock suspension, thats what's nice about picking up a factory built sumo, they've made those changes already for ya. I'm lazy so having some of that stuff already done is nice. I added a header, rejetted the carb (have someone who knows carbs help) and modified the airbox. I can do wheelies up to third gear, and it's only up til third cause I'm new to them.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts

Thanks
You'll need shock upgrade and revalve done.. Physically not hard,the $$ is spent for the knowledge of the suspension guy. Just email Dave,he's a great guy and won't sell you something you don't need. Sending my bikes to him was the best $ I spent on my bikes! Hands down bar none.....

·
Registered
163 Posts
For around the city I would absolutely run the wr250x. Gear it properly, bolt on some basic parts, and enjoy. Low 30rwhp is easily attainable and combined with proper gearing it will be a blast.

280lbs vs 320lbs

The DRZ might make a bit more power but the 40lbs lighter WR will be loads more fun to flick around.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Stock suspension, thats what's nice about picking up a factory built sumo, they've made those changes already for ya. I'm lazy so having some of that stuff already done is nice. I added a header, rejetted the carb (have someone who knows carbs help) and modified the airbox. I can do wheelies up to third gear, and it's only up til third cause I'm new to them.
DRZ/WR250 come from undersprung factory,for 140lb rider. That's a 100 shy of what OP weighs.... :headscrat

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have found that trusting the numbers can only get you so far, buy a bike that has plenty of aftermarket available, sit yo fat arse on it, ride the he'll out of it and decide what you wanna spend YOUR money on. Don't listen to us.

And as for that 140lb rider business, I'm 200 and that stock suspension is still plenty resposive and I feel no need to fix what ain't broke.

Just my two pennies

1 - 20 of 43 Posts