SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 2 of 22 Posts

· Registered
1,616 Posts
I was wondering if anyone has ridden both a steel cr500 and an 3rd gen af. Preferably the cr125 (02-07) frame, because that is what I would convert to. I have heard that the aluminum is too stiff for sumo and that the steel cr500s are better for street.
i havent ridden both, but that statement reeks of bullshit.

the chassis geometry might be too twitchy, or something along those lines.. but there is no such thing as the frame being "too stiff"

· Registered
1,616 Posts
Sorry if this is the wrong place but how hard is it to put a 500 into a CR125/250 frame?
you basically cut the engine cradle from the frame on the front downtube and just behind the motor mounts, and fabricate your engine cradle from there.
then you use a bracket for the upper motor mount to the existing mount, and the engine is in there....
some heat treat the whole frame after that.. others ride it as-is...

theres some minor things, like slightly modding the fuel tank to clear the plug on some models.. or having to carefully watch front wheel to expansion chamber clearance... but for the most part, its just modding the frame to fit, then fiddling with little fitmet details until the bike is together.. if you can do the frame, the rest is a cakewalk.

theres step by step pics on bannedcr500riders.com

1 - 2 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.