SuperMoto Junkie banner

Alternative mufflers for 09 510

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  milelongwheelie84 
#1 ·
Getting a bit tired of waiting for someone to make a set of cans for the 09 SMR. Does anyone know of another muffler that runs around a 36mm ID core size? Figure if I can find something near enough it should be easy enough to get some connecting pipe bent up...

#2 ·
I own both a 2008 Husky TXC250 and a 2009 SMR450. I took the time to try it, and the 2008 TXC250 mid-pipe and OEM Arrow muffler fit right up to the 2009 SMR450. The header pipes and all the mounts lined up for a direct bolt on, no mods required. The rear subframe mount on the SMR sits at a slightly different angle, but the rubber bushing allows a bit of twist so the muffler sits at the right angle.

I figured it would be a winner for me since it would be like getting a free pipe, since I'm stealing it from my own bike. Plus, the stock Husky MX exhaust is very high quality and lightweight titanium (made for Husky by Arrow). I compared the two systems side by side, and the stock 2008 TXC250 single w/midpipe is nearly 15 lbs less than the 2009 SMR450 duals w/midpipe... I couldn't believe how heavy each 2009 muffler is!

I thought that I would try it to see if a big, open single would run any better than the 2 corked-up stock cans. It was loud as a mofo and I never even took it out of the garage... Seriously, it would make a Harley rider say WTF and I need to remain a bit more stealth than that. I'm sure it would work good for a track bike or if noise isn't an issue, but I guess I'll have to wait for duals like everyone else. But it is an option:)

#5 ·
Couple of pics of the pipes. Sound nice, rides nice as well, though doesn't seem to be any sort of night / day difference. Discernibly more pressure coming out the exhaust though, so might need some jetting changes :)

As you can see in the last pic he left the cat in. Not sure if this is realistically going to impede flow any given the difference in diameter and the size of the 36mm connecting pipe leading into the muffler unit itself.

#9 ·
actually, i apologize, i thought that the pic of yurs looked just like mine, but it dont. ther is still a smaller core/baffel kinda thing in the end. i did think that ther was another baffel that came stock but i guess i was wrong...my b

#10 ·
Ah, bugger - was wondering if anyone else had tried similar. Here's a pic of the bits cut out of the baffle, to give you an idea of what's in there. It doesn't actually look like that major of a drama if there's a larger internal core, but I'm not sure if there is or not...

Attachments

#14 · (Edited)
I have a 09 smr510. I live in California so the exhaust is much different. I used 1 1/4in cores and removed the cat and K+N filter. DOES NOT NEED A FUEL PROGRAMMER. I installed one and ran it on our dyno and was way too rich. Ran it stock and its perfect. the fuel injection system compensates for the extra flow. 51-52hp stock and with exhaust mods i got 52.5hp. pretty much sounds better and gives you more throttle response off idle. no more lag when you stab it off idle!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.