SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody has had the experience of fitting a 5.5 rear rim on a Japanese bike (mine YZ450F 2011)? Any serious modifications needed? What are the pros and cons? If you have experience in this matter your advice is much appreciated.

·
Registered
547 Posts
5" fits nicely and so does 5.5". Non o-ring chain and 170 dunlop slick on 5" no chain slap on tyre or wheel on 2010 yz450f.

Haven't tried 5.5" yet, but supposed to have better grip under full lean and getting on the gas earlier. Turn in might be tad slower?

But even with 5" and dunlop slick you have unbelievable grip while leaned over and opening the throttle hard. I loved that setup on my friends bike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Thank you for the detailed response. I appreciate it. Once I have the set up done will post a photo. I think I will go for the 5.5 and 16.5 tubeless. Regards.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I have 5.5 on my 2007 YZ450 and run Dunlop 170. No issues:thumbup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks - How about set up?

Did you offset the hubs when ordering the wheels? Should I consider offsetting the hub in order to have aligned front and back wheels?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
All my wheels have been built by Factory Pro Racing. The owner Kirk knows his stuff. The wheels were built then offset for a YZ. I run 170 Dunlop on 5.5 with 14/48 gearing, axle is pushed up all the way to stops on swingarm and nothing rubs. When I run 165 Michelins or 165 Bridgestone with axle pushed as far forward as possible they rub on right side. I'm planning on getting a shortened swingarm and getting it notched on right side so I don't have any rub.

If you offset your wheel you should be okay, as long as you keep in mind a few other issues(pushing axle up, tires may rub slightly under hard cornering, o-rong chains are wider and can cause rubbing, etc)

Also remember the dimensions on 2011 are probably different then the generation YZ I have. One of the guys on my team is gettinga 2010 in next week or so and he is going to run Marchesinis. If 2011 and 2010 have same swingarms I can take some measurements if you still have questions. PM me and let me know if you want some measurements.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
And yes I know you can't offset Marchesinis, but it may be worth seeing a 170 Dunlop in the swingarm to answer somew of the questions:thumbup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the detailed answer.

All my wheels have been built by Factory Pro Racing. The owner Kirk knows his stuff. The wheels were built then offset for a YZ. I run 170 Dunlop on 5.5 with 14/48 gearing, axle is pushed up all the way to stops on swingarm and nothing rubs. When I run 165 Michelins or 165 Bridgestone with axle pushed as far forward as possible they rub on right side. I'm planning on getting a shortened swingarm and getting it notched on right side so I don't have any rub.

If you offset your wheel you should be okay, as long as you keep in mind a few other issues(pushing axle up, tires may rub slightly under hard cornering, o-rong chains are wider and can cause rubbing, etc)

Also remember the dimensions on 2011 are probably different then the generation YZ I have. One of the guys on my team is gettinga 2010 in next week or so and he is going to run Marchesinis. If 2011 and 2010 have same swingarms I can take some measurements if you still have questions. PM me and let me know if you want some measurements.
Wow you really gave me good information. Please let me know of the final results with the 2010 YZ. I am planning to get a 2011 which has the same swing arm. My plan is to run 5.5 Alpina, a non-o-ring chain, a swing arm chain teflon guard. Now the question is the offset. What is the difference in length of the spokes on the left and right in orger to offset properly. Thank you again.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Wow you really gave me good information. Please let me know of the final results with the 2010 YZ. I am planning to get a 2011 which has the same swing arm. My plan is to run 5.5 Alpina, a non-o-ring chain, a swing arm chain teflon guard. Now the question is the offset. What is the difference in length of the spokes on the left and right in orger to offset properly. Thank you again.
The spokes are going to be same length on both sides of hub. You will use the standard spokes both sides. There is enough threads on spokes to make adjustments needed to offset the wheel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts