SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2019 Yamaha YZ450FX and want to put on some sumo wheels. I have a deal on some Warp 9 switch forged wheels, 17x3.5 front and 17x4.25 rear or get some Alpina Tubeless spoke wheels, 17x3.5 front and 17x5.0 rear (only size they carry). I will be doing some street and light off-road, possibly some jumping off some decks on a rare occasion. Common sense says the Alpina tubeless spoke wheels will be better because the spokes absorb impact better than a forged wheel? As far as sizing, can I fit a 17x5.0 on the rear on my 2019 yamaha yz450fx? I want to be able to switch to dirt wheels easily, would it be better to go with a 17 x 4.25 for the rear? Are Alpina wheels reliable? From what I hear if you have any issues with Alpina wheels you will have to ship it to Italy which can be expensive and time consuming. I would appreciate any feedback!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I've been told the Warp9s are on the heavy side but haven't weighed them

if you can swing it I'd go for Marchesinis or Carrozzerias

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've used the warp 9s on my KTM for years. All kinds of abuse, and they held up well, spokes stayed tight, wheel stayed true. I believe in them.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Your asking a crazy question, Warp 9 wheels are popular in the US, because they beat almost everybody’s price, Alpina wheels are What’s used on factory race bikes, I had a set on my Aprilia SXV race bike yrs ago, no issues, Amazing Quality, only down side is there crazy expensive. If you don’t use Alpina, get Woodys to make you a set, say Talon hubs, Excel Tim’s, he’ Even seal them for tubeless application, but there also Crazy expensive. I’ve had both.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Not sure you could fit a 5" wide rim on the back. You couldnt on my 17 WR450f. I went with Talon hubs, Excel hoops and had them sealed. I couldnt be happier with the results, not sure about the Warp 9 forged for abuse??

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I bet you can fit a 5" if you space the chain out a little and offset the rim a little

·
6,598 Posts
going tubeless I get but I still don't understand why some people are so adement about having cush drive.

adds weight, robs power, and the clutch basket on that particular motor has dampening rubbers which will already aid in lessening stress put on the drivetrain, not to mention a bit of clutch control will go a long way as well.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
that's adding weight, not robbing power. if you have a power limited top speed, adding weight won't change it enough to notice (there's a *tiny* bit more rolling resistance, probably not enough to measure).

also, while it does rotate, it's at a small radius vs the rim itself or the tire, so the 1lb stated difference isn't as significant there vs saving 1lb on the outer part of a rim, or tire.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I just bought warp9 switch wheels for my 500exc. I wanted the cush drive to protect the gearbox, also love the way they look. They seem very strong and look tough. I will compare the weight with my old DNA wheels that have tubes once I get my new tires mounted.

Weigh them without the tires. All tires are different weights.

·
6,598 Posts
does it really rob power?

maybe rob power is a wrong way of putting it, although it might be true just don't have any actual dyno data to back it up, but the connection between throttle input and power output is a lot less direct. theoretically you're taking away energy by deforming a set of rubbers installed in the hub to smooth out power delivery going to the rear wheel, so taking away energy even though it may only be a small amount will result in a power decrease.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Weigh them without the tires. All tires are different weights.
Im sure the forged mag wheels are heavier then my spoke wheels. The warp9's are 10pds 2oz for front and 15pds for rear with cush drive and 14 with direct drive per their websight. The point is Im dumping the tubes so im hoping the overall package is lighter. I could not justify twice the cost for Marzocchi wheels. I have yet to ride at a track so for now its just for street riding. Looking how beefy the warp 9 wheels are, I think they will handle more abuse then the Marzocchi hoops.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Im sure the forged mag wheels are heavier then my spoke wheels. The warp9's are 10pds 2oz for front and 15pds for rear with cush drive and 14 with direct drive per their websight. The point is Im dumping the tubes so im hoping the overall package is lighter. I could not justify twice the cost for Marzocchi wheels. I have yet to ride at a track so for now its just for street riding. Looking how beefy the warp 9 wheels are, I think they will handle more abuse then the Marzocchi hoops.
Not sure about the warp 9's out lasting the Machesini's. You are comparing a chevette to a corvette there.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Not sure about the warp 9's out lasting the Machesini's. You are comparing a chevette to a corvette there.
I found a pretty good dent on my Warp9 forged front the other day so they aren't bulletproof

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just had another wheel made for my 690 enduro R from Woodys wheel Works, they are one of the best wheel makers you can get, sale price was $1,100 for one rear wheel, but about as good as it gets, billet Cush drive hub, Excel 4.50” x 17” rim, HD SS spokes and nipples, sealed for a tubeless tire.

Professional quality, if it’s ever damaged you can get it serviced / replace parts back to a almost new condition.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Just had another wheel made for my 690 enduro R from Woodys wheel Works, they are one of the best wheel makers you can get, sale price was $1,100 for one rear wheel, but about as good as it gets, billet Cush drive hub, Excel 4.50” x 17” rim, HD SS spokes and nipples, sealed for a tubeless tire.

Professional quality, if it’s ever damaged you can get it serviced / replace parts back to a almost new condition.

Let me know if you need another rear wheel for ur 690. I have a black Behr KTM rear 17 in 5.0 wide rim I am trying to sell. I bought it by accident thinking it was for a 450.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts