SuperMoto Junkie banner

All Thread

2K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  Chefjoe 
#1 ·
What size do I need to make a set of axle sliders?

#9 ·
Yeah... but I can't bear to have it out of commision for that long!
I just measured the axles. The left side looks to have a 1/4" opening that's threaded- both front and rear. The right fronthas about a 1/2" opening, and the rear, about 3/4". I figured length should be about 10"?
I figured someone that had already done this could tell me what sizes they used and how they went about securing the side with the larger openings so it doesn't get all outa whack and moved around.

#12 ·
they're not all yuppie consumers... one might come around a corner holding a long ladder, just for the comedic potential..... i know i would. :laughingr

i have the same question about the spacer though... what are you guys using to make up the diff between the axle hole size, and the allthread OD?

#11 ·
OK...
I bought some 1/4" all thread and it fits fine in the rear axle, but it won't go throught the smaller side of the front.
What about the right? Do I need to fab some sort of spacer that fits into the axle to keep it from moving around? It seems that iffin I need them due to a crash, the movement would make it more likely to snap off instead of protecting the bike!

#13 ·
Crap! Didn't think about the contractor with a ladder or flatbed loaded with 2X6s...
I'll keep my head down hope it just glances off my helmet! Or block it with the bark busters and keep sliding through the isles.
Maybe just stay in the gardening or plumbing sections.
That reminds me:
When we were kids in San Antonio, there was a small mall in our neighborhood (Colonies North mall), and me and my buddy used to ride our BMX bikes through it ALL the time! Bunny hoppin the benches, power sliding on the slick floor- just being little hooligans. We must have been chased out ten times! BTW, this was in the early eighties when everybody had trick bikes and raced. Not like today with fat kids on cheap bikes that can't even air up their tires correctly...
The mall really didn't have much.... a grocery store, Christian Science Reading room, 5 &10, etc.. Dang that was fun! Just think if you added a motor!

Back to the sliders. What size do I need for the front axle and what about the bigger sides?

#15 ·
my temp solution was to turn a thick washer down so its OD fit the axles ID.. then use two nuts (and locktite) to lock it onto the allthread where i needed it.

im thinking i might have a cheap center made by someone with a lathe... done right, it'll never break, and i can reuse/resell later.

#16 ·
That's a great idea.
Got the rear ones done... need more all thread to do the front. Turns out the 1/4" works.
I got some skateboard wheels with pistols and uzis all over 'em!... I was actually looking for Sponge Bob wheels as my daughters' request but no luck. Guns r good!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.