SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Just pry everything out. No need to drill. It's just plastic. Pry out the entire assembly, then use some plyers to hold the insert while turning on the bolt.

Then using an exacto knife, clean up the holes, mix up some JB Weld, place the brass insert in and let dry overnight. Now, they won't move or spin. Also use some never seize on the bolts.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The inserts in the airbox on my 630 spun out too. You're going to want to drill them out. Don't try digging them out. I had to warranty a new airbox anyway so I tried digging them out. It was a mess and is not as easy as you'd think. Even drilling them out you need to do by hand as they heat up and melt what little plastic is holding them and they'll spin forever...

DO NOT over tighten them! Especially the inserts in the gas tank.

Once I got the new airbox I only tighten fasteners that go to brass inserts by hand WITHOUT ANY loctite. Id rather they fall out and be replaced than drilled out...

Lesson I had to learn the hard way. Just wana help.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Another item of note. Put some anti-seize on the bolts when you do re-install them. I've done that, and so far, they come right off.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Welcome to the club. Have just done the same and the new air box is sitting there waiting to be installed. BTW 610 and 630 air boxes have the same parts number!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hey guys,

First post, be gentle. Have what seems to be a pretty common issue with my 610's airbox screws having stripped. Planning to drill them out and replace - but does anyone have any specs/measurements for these other than the standard manf. part numbers?

https://skitch.com/davebaskind/f9qi5/bolts

GB

Think you´ve got the wrong end of the stick!

The screw (bolt) you mentioned does not go into an insert in the airbox. It is longer than the others and goes into a clip on the rear. Nothing is broken. Just use the one and only longer screw (bolt) and find the clip on the frame for it to go into. All is then well.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for the suggestions. Just found out I have much bigger problems.

Apparently my engine cylinder is out of round (perhaps due to previous cam-chain failure). Something that obviously happened under previous owners' watch.

Will post up a separate thread requesting moral/financial support. I've been quoted AU$4,000 for repair... on a $6k bike.

GB

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, so the dearly beloved is back on the road with a new cylinder & piston and generally regaining my trust.

The dealer, however, is not. I asked them to sort out the airbox while they had it - the service manager said they could only get a filter/box on back-order so they had thoroughly cleaned and re-oiled this one for me in the mean time, and I should let them know in advance before I next bring it in so they could replace it.

OK, I said, but then decided to investigate: http://flic.kr/p/bm3P8U

Nice and clean, isn't it?

Will try to get it out of there this weekend.

·
Registered
206 Posts
OK, so the dearly beloved is back on the road with a new cylinder & piston and generally regaining my trust.

The dealer, however, is not. I asked them to sort out the airbox while they had it - the service manager said they could only get a filter/box on back-order so they had thoroughly cleaned and re-oiled this one for me in the mean time, and I should let them know in advance before I next bring it in so they could replace it.

OK, I said, but then decided to investigate: http://flic.kr/p/bm3P8U

Nice and clean, isn't it?

Will try to get it out of there this weekend.
Seeing that it takes all of 5 minutes to replace the air filter... might as well do it before you ride anywhere. That's suffocating the engine.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Seeing that it takes all of 5 minutes to replace the air filter... might as well do it before you ride anywhere. That's suffocating the engine.
I think thats the point. The filters are backorderd and they said they "cleaned" the old one really good. Looks like they did a good job. :thumbup:

·
Registered
583 Posts
I think thats the point. The filters are backorderd and they said they "cleaned" the old one really good. Looks like they did a good job. :thumbup:
Hope you can find somebody to work on your bike that actually gives a damn, that shop sucks! In the mean time, here's your air filter.

https://www.denniskirk.com/twin-air/foam-air-filter.p303421.prd/303421.sku

Dennis Kirk has Twin-Air filters in stock for your bike and T-A filters work great, that's what I use in my 510.

It's not just the fact that a dirty air filter will make your bike run rich, it will also dirt into your engine when not properly serviced, oiled and the sealing surface greased. Running dirt through your top end is most likely what caused the wear on the cylinder and piston.

If you order the airfilter tonight you'll probably have it in a couple of days from Kirk. You can install it yourself and you should start doing all your own work, at least until you can find a good shop.:thumbup:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Success!

OK, so I undertook aforementioned Saturday morning airbox removal challenge, and I did get the thing out (a bit mangled) and now have a clean and oiled filter in place. I managed to pry enough of the box open to slide the new filter in, but don't see myself getting those inserts out without a bit of heat (which I didn't have handy).

Seeing as the box is pretty warped I think I'll order a new one and replace it in due course but for now I feel a whole lot better having that old filter out. I hope to god it wasn't what caused my early cylinder wear - I have no idea how long the P.O. had it in there.

One question though - it's been a long time since I oiled a filter, and quite a bit of residual oil drained out after I replaced the box. I suppose I over-oiled. I'd assume that the excess will run off and I don't need to do anything fancy?

Cheers for the help everyone!

It comes away by Gnash Britches, on Flickr

Not looking too good by Gnash Britches, on Flickr

Untitled by Gnash Britches, on Flickr

Had to jam it in the gap I had by hand by Gnash Britches, on Flickr

A sneaky spew after overindulging by Gnash Britches, on Flickr

1 - 20 of 20 Posts