SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just a quick question, are those small $100 home depot aircompressors, ie like those used for nail guns, powerfull enough for beading tires? i only ask because the air compressor at the gas station wasn't powerfull enough to make the tire seat.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
just a quick question, are those small $100 home depot aircompressors, ie like those used for nail guns, powerfull enough for beading tires? i only ask because the air compressor at the gas station wasn't powerfull enough to make the tire seat.
the gas station wouldnt work thats strange. do you mean air is leaking passed the sides of the tire, so you need a quick burst to expand the tire and seat the bead???

those small compressors suck man when it comes to cfm's. they are not any better than the gas station. they will work to inflate a tire if the bead already has contact with the rim.

you know the trick with tiedowns around the tire to push the bead against the wheel thats the only way ive gotton a weak compressor/gas station to work.

i can bring my big compressor over if you want man...i need to pay you a visit anyway

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what's a cfm? damm acronyms. problem with the gas station was that it wouldn't give that quick burst you were talkin about. looking for strong portable aircompressor that gives a quick enough burst to bead the tire. i know the tiedown trick, looking for a semi-pro set up so i don't have to mess with it everytime.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
If you're at all hesistant rent one from walmart. They should work fine though. But don't get a $100 one. Spend just a bit more on one, or go to harbor freight even. Harbor freight stuff is on sale all the time. But anyways you'll find sooooo many uses for an air compressor. Nail guns, impact wrenches, grinders and sanders, spark plug cleaners, cut off wheels, and my newest little toy... a paint gun.

This is the one we have, it was $250. We got it about 4 years ago when we re-shingled our house. It was cheaper to buy one then to rent one, and since then we are always finding new uses for it. Even if its just airing up the car tires. The other good thing about this one is its somewhat compact size, we have a long hose, but we can bring it with us to friend's places or to the back yard easily.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
strap a tie down around the center of the tire and snug it up but dont overtighten. it will push the bead sideways and seal up any spot where air is leakin passed. soapy water helps to find the leaks and also makes the bead seat easier.

i got the same compressor tallboy, little different model. mine sucks bad i hate it. i seriously have jb weld on the main valve.

the little compressors dont produce the 'cubic feet a minute' of airflow. they use thin hose, and the small tank doesnt have enough stored volume of air to produce a sustained umph...

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
strap a tie down around the center of the tire and snug it up but dont overtighten. it will push the bead sideways and seal up any spot where air is leakin passed. soapy water helps to find the leaks and also makes the bead seat easier.

i got the same compressor tallboy, little different model. mine sucks bad i hate it. i seriously have jb weld on the main valve.

the little compressors dont produce the 'cubic feet a minute' of airflow. they use thin hose, and the small tank doesnt have enough stored volume of air to produce a sustained umph...
alright smartypants, just give me a "buy this" link. :thumbup:

·
Registered
785 Posts

·
Registered
9,673 Posts
Hey Bri !

Bein the cheap bastid that I am I bought a 50 dollar Schucks special.....it doesn't have enough of a tank to fill my wide tires on my van nor my Benz suv...can't fill up my air shocks neither...BUT it does do my tires quite easily....If I were to do it again and may have to I'd buy the ones with the slighty higher CFM's ( Cubic feet per minute) as well the larger tank as the pressure drops on larger aplications which means you have to stop and allow the compressor to catch up....when doin tires I re spray the beads with simple green or something similar so the bead pops easier....Dunnies take 40 psi and pirelli's take approx 60

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
any compressor will work IF it has a large enough capacity and the abil;ity to push the cubic feet per minute of air required.

Big tank with big opening to give you that initial blast and maintain it long enough for tire/rim to seat.

I have always got my compressors at Harbor freight tools. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94667

250 bucks will buy you something you will have for years and can use to run pnumatic tools.

I dont recommend the lighter fluid torching trick...it works but let the wrong people see you do that and your out of a job or holding a handfull of tickets AND loosing your job,

Good luck

·
Mullet Lord
3,302 Posts
That guy in the video is using entirely too much ether... I have used that trick about a million times, but I only use a little bit of ether. If I have to do it twice per tire, that's a price I'm willing to pay for my safety. I watched a guy spray a half a can of ether into a tire once and light it, only to blow the tire off of the rim. The rim flew up and hit him in the leg, breaking his femur. Ether works, just BE CAREFUL and use COMMON SENSE.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts