SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I got the tires and wheels all mounted on my new CRF 450 I even bought a set of used tire warmers, I could be at the track 10 miles from my house riding practice today but I can;t find a used front brake set up. I really don't have a grand to drop on a front brake set up, so what could I do for a affordable first year of SM Go-kart track riding? Could I just get a 320mm EBC rotor and a relocation bracket for the stock dirt caliper and master or would I regret it after a few practice days?

If so where can I find this stuff?

TIA, Zach

·
6,598 Posts
sooner or later you're gonne want a dedicated caliper if you plan on hitting the track often. brake fade is almost a sure thing with the stock caliper if you hit some faster tracks where you really got to work the brakes. it might do in the beginning but once you start building the pace you'll find the stock stuff is gonne come up short.

I think your best option would be to look into a motomaster caliper. the motomaster 4 piston caliper is specificly designed to work with the stock master cylinder so if you don't want to update everything. get a bigger rotor, the motomaster caliper and a stainless steel brakeline. buddy of mine uses the same setup on his crf 450 racebike and he couldn't be happier with performance. it still might not be a cheap purchase (motomaster kit @ motostrano is 850$) but in general you'll spend less money compared to other fully loaded brake systems while staying competitive on track.

·
Registered
913 Posts
are there any road bike calipers that can mount to a SM ?

What pads work best with a stock caliper?
I have always found that stock pads worked well for me

·
Registered
373 Posts
You do not want to use the stock caliper and rotor and master cylinder! You might be able to get away with stock master for a little while, but the stock caliper and rotor will get extremelly hot from braking, and will then warp the rotor. Your best bet is try to find a used motomaster caliper, find the relocation bracket for your bike, and then get a master cyclinder either off a 4-wheeler like the ex400 which is what my buddy did. You can get the ex400 master cylinder, which has a larger capacity for brake fluid, and mound it to a moto master caliper. Also, you can buy a Brembo Master cylinder that will work great for 95 bucks on motostrano.

I know a few AMA Pro's (Hyder and few more) that run the Brembo master cylinder with a motomaster caliper. They just purchase a CRG brake lever which gives them the feel they want for a cheaper price. Hope this helps!:thumbup:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have heard of guys using CRF450R 4wheeler masters, I will look on ebay for the ex400 ones too. Has anybody heard of anyone running a used street bike master?

Thanks everyone keep the ideas coming!

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
I'd try a road bike caliper. You can pick them up pretty cheap on ebay. If you get a roadbike's brake lever/master cylinder you should have enough power too.
Which caliper should he get and what relocation bracket should he use with that?

Also, DO NOT buy a street bike m/c (16mm or greater bore) intended for dual calipers. It will be terrible.

Over-simplifying the answers to these questions with generalities could complicate adrynalin's life.

The 1/2" bore m/c from a 4 wheeler works, and my personal choice is the Brembo integral reservoir m/c. It is cheap, bulletproof (in a crash), does not have a tendency to be tough to bleed, and replacement levers can be had for $10.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
well today i took the master cylinder off my ex250 quad which is the same as the ex400 and put it on my xr650l.went for a test ride and it seems to be more progressive than the stock xrl.the xrl had good bite right off the start and then had good midstroke power then thats about it,you would have to pull it hard to do a stoppie.the ex master cylinder doesnt bite as hard right off the start but mid is about the same as the xr but has more power at the end on the stroke.stoppies are easier now.the ex seems more progressive.another good thing was i thought i wouldnt have a front brake light but i looked at the bottom of the ex brake cylinder and it has the same mount for the xr brake switch.bolted right on,now i have brake lights too! one thing i did need was a mirror perch bracket that bolts to the ex mc for a mirror.got one now its done.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Sure is tempting to just get the Brembo set up at motostano I know I would be paying for the name though. Thanks BMXR
If you really want to save some $$$, try to find a used setup for a couple weeks... Check the ads for anyone selling a bike that might be putting his SM back to dirt trim for an easier sale.

If you can't find what you need (or can't wait :) ), you could buy a caliper and m/c from a cycle salvage place, the caliper relocation bracket and rotor (Motostrano, QTM, yoyodyne, etc.), and a custom brake line ($40 from HEL). Just make sure you get a caliper that works with the bracket you get (the people selling them can tell you which) and the right size m/c. Generally, I would say that 11mm to 13mm will work (as will a 1/2" like the TRX m/c). The 11 will have the most initial bite but will feel spongier. IMO 16mm m/c feels really wooden with a single caliper attached to it. That is the size on most dual caliper sport bikes pre-radial m/c.

Or just warm up the plastic and call Motostrano! :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts