SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an 04 CRF 450R with a street kit on it. I plan on driving it anywhere i can since my silverado gets crap for gas mileage. I know a little bout bikes, just basic maintenance. My question to everyone who is reading is am i going to be able to drive my bike on trips. For example my hometown is about an hour away. Would it be smart to put that much time on the motor at one time. And are there any oil coolers or any other kind of parts that might help with the stress on the motor?

·
Read Only
1,275 Posts
Unfortunately you have bought the wrong bike. A DRZ400 is what you need.
The maintenance on a race motor will cost a lot more than gas for your truck. (Frequent oil changes plus less frequent rebuilds)
If you use the proper sticky tires, they too will cost more than gas for your truck.

·
Read Only
1,275 Posts
Quality oil every five hrs, oil filter every ten.

I stand to be corrected but I think a CRF will require NEW valves every 50hrs and I shouldn’t think a piston would last past 100hrs.

·
Registered
563 Posts
i have a crf 450 r 2003 and now i saw its not a cheap toy to play with. for race its beautiful, but for everyday rides it sucks.

skypig: is this in a race mode or in normal riding mode?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
replace the valves or the valve shims every fifty?
The guy i bought it from used it for street so i would think it's set up for that.
Is there anything i can buy to reduce the stress on the motor?

·
Registered
17 Posts
You have to remember, these a high strung race bikes. They're beyond what factory works bikes were not too long ago. Like a hot girlfriend they're fast, pretty and high maintenance. These bikes are made to go FAST for short periods of time. Even the Baja 1000 is a short period of time compared to hours of road miles. Just because you bought it streeted doesn't mean the bike was meant for the road. Especially the 450R, this is a MOTOCROSS bike, designed for 20 minute motos, not sitting in traffic or droning on the highway. A new plug and oil change once a year was fine for the old XR/XL, they are still living happy lives with this treatment, do this to the new generation 4-strokes and the end will be quite different and much sooner.

·
Registered
9,673 Posts
I agree wth the other guys........you can double the oil capacity with a joe racer oil cooler set up which will help, but not alot...the beast is what it is......one thing that should be of concern is the previous owner has ridden it on the street...it maybe due for a rebuild...? If it were me I'd detail the crap outa the bike If it isn't premo now and sell it for the above recomendation of getting a DRZ or a converted red 650 or a clean MZ......We are just trying to prevent you from frustration and alot of $$$ good luck and keep us posted.......the guys have posted alot of info in the street tard section and you may find that very useful...:thumbup:

·
Registered
17 Posts
what kind of maintenance are you talkin about.... cause i can adjust the valves no prob.
You can do this, but don't know the differance between a race horse and a plow mule. Sorry to be rude with ya, but if you've actually bought this bike you better get a service manual(not the owners manual, the $58 service manual) and do a lot of research about this bike and it's upkeep or your gonna have a very expensive boat anchor. My advice is the same as Brian's, spruce it up and off it, you're in over your head.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
nah i'm gona keep it. I have no problem doing the maintenance on it. My best bro just graduated from MMI so i think i'll be alright.

·
Registered
17 Posts
One last piece of advice, run a full qt in the tranny if you're streeting it. I've been told that as a weight saving measure Honda designed the tranny to hold .75 and some of the gears run out of the oil bath to reduce drag. Their lubrication comes from the bike being tossed around(its intended purpose). If these things are true or not, I don't know, what is true are the bikes whose trannys have locked up from lots of miles in the upright position and running the spec fluid.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yea i don't care. I learn how to fix it and i'll ride it till i die. blood sweat and tears man. Unless i can make a zuki or yamaha look like my bike i'm gona roll my honda.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts