SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.
I've been price shopping on a DR650 for my first bike.
I found a brand new 06' but the dealer will only take MSRP ($5100) + 500 for freight. They will however, throw in a helmet and jacket. The salesman seemed like a really nice guy, so I'd like to think I'm not getting screwed.

I've never bought a new bike before, nor have I made a purchase this big. Does anybody have any thoughts on whether this is a good deal or not?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Two things I want to say:
1) All salesmen seem 'nice', you wouldn't buy something from a guy that greeted you "Hey asshole, how the fuck are you doing?" and they know that. ALL salesmen will seem nice, if anything, the one salesmen you can truly trust, is the one that treats you poorly.
2) NEVER pay a higher price for extra 'thrown in' stuff, especially if you're financing the bike. The value of the bike is set, and if you need to turn around and sell it you can't charge more for a jacket and helmet. Accessories don't add to the value of a bike. If anything else, tell the salesmen to just take the cost of the accessories (in this instance a jacket and helmet) off the cost of the bike, if they really are throwing them in for free it won't make a difference because they aren't loosing or gaining anything either way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys, excellent points.
The KBB value for an 06' 650 is $3700 USD in good condition. I think I am going to offer 4k firm (OTD) and see where that gets me.

Another dealer has an older DRZ400SM I can fall back on. While the 650 seemed like a nice first bike that I could grow into, from the posts around here it seems like the 400 would serve me well.

·
Registered
33 Posts
if the sm has any mods it may be just as fast as the 650 stock,400 sm way to go .!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Two things I want to say:
1) All salesmen seem 'nice', you wouldn't buy something from a guy that greeted you "Hey asshole, how the fuck are you doing?" and they know that. ALL salesmen will seem nice, if anything, the one salesmen you can truly trust, is the one that treats you poorly.
2) NEVER pay a higher price for extra 'thrown in' stuff, especially if you're financing the bike. The value of the bike is set, and if you need to turn around and sell it you can't charge more for a jacket and helmet. Accessories don't add to the value of a bike. If anything else, tell the salesmen to just take the cost of the accessories (in this instance a jacket and helmet) off the cost of the bike, if they really are throwing them in for free it won't make a difference because they aren't loosing or gaining anything either way.
+1

·
Registered
575 Posts
Buy a used DR650 or DRZ400. You might have to be slightly more patient but they are there, and you will save thousands.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hi guys.
I've been price shopping on a DR650 for my first bike.
I found a brand new 06' but the dealer will only take MSRP ($5100) + 500 for freight. They will however, throw in a helmet and jacket. The salesman seemed like a really nice guy, so I'd like to think I'm not getting screwed.

I've never bought a new bike before, nor have I made a purchase this big. Does anybody have any thoughts on whether this is a good deal or not?
"Thank You! You are on your way to saving big dollars on your Suzuki 08 DR650 SE. Todays price is $5,199 OUT THE DOOR, including all applicable taxes, registration, and document fees. We do not charge any freight, set-up, or destination charges. Price quotes are good for 48 hours and change constantly with customer demand, inventory levels, and sales goals. All factory rebates and/or promotional dollars are factored into our offer so we can provide you with the lowest price possible."

a little secret http://www.otdcyclesports.com

You're welcome :thumbup: :clap::clap::clap:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Dude I bought a 06 Dr650 with 573 miles for $2500 dollars this spring. Wait and buy a used one!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts