SuperMoto Junkie banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I found and bought a bone stock, practical new 2012 wr450. Did an oil change and everything went while, when I checked the oil level after idling for 3 minutes the level was as full as I'd want it. Anyway, can you check the level when the engine is cold? I want to make sure I didn't over fill it (runs fine, nothing in the air filter) but I'm guessing cold and on the side stand does not give an accurate reading.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You're going to need the manual.

Checking the oil on the WR450 is a bit strange. the dipstick only tells you how much is in the upper sump and you can only guarantee that it will be full if you have run the motor for a minute or 2 ( manual says 2 min ) then you can check it with the dipstick to see if it has enough oil in it to fill the sump up. AFTER you do this you must make sure the bike is straight upright and level and then remove a little 8mm bolt that goes in the engine case right at the lower sump " full up " level when the upper sump is full. It's located behind the shifter on the side of the case.

Once you have run your motor for a few minutes you can check it, a drop or two of oil coming out is perfect, if it pours out, let it, you are over full. If nothing comes out you are low on oil. Don't crack it open on an unrun motor, the top sump leaks back into the lower sump when you let the bike set a while.

If you changed the oil and didn't drain both the side drain ( upper sump ) and the rear drain ( lower ) you probably have about an extra 1/2 quart in there .

Like I said it's a bit strange.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Ok I think I did the oil change correctly and it sounds like you can only check the oil after the bike is level and has been ran for two minutes. Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
I found and bought a bone stock, practical new 2012 wr450. Did an oil change and everything went while, when I checked the oil level after idling for 3 minutes the level was as full as I'd want it. Anyway, can you check the level when the engine is cold? I want to make sure I didn't over fill it (runs fine, nothing in the air filter) but I'm guessing cold and on the side stand does not give an accurate reading.
Re grease all bearings, I just broke my steering bearings.

Skickat från min ONE A2003 via Tapatalk

·
Registered
275 Posts
if you drain both sides for an oil change, just put 1 whole quart in it and ride, no need to check anything

Yamaha head bearings are famous for having a bad seal and rusting , they sell an updated bearing now with a better seal on the top

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
More questions. I bought the tusk lighting kit. Do I need to use their tail light to get both a brake light and rear signals? Is that just the easiest way? If so do I simply remove and unplug the existing tail light?

I'll be trying to hook up a brake switch for both front and rear. I can't figure out if the existing harness supports all of this or if I should just run their whole kit even if redundant.

Also do I need to keep the existing E start and stop buttons? Should I replace them with their on off switch or just leave them and not use the switch?

Help and pics are appreciated. Thanks

21 - 28 of 28 Posts